DavidP
LostCousins Member
I found this attached recipe at the front of the Parish Registers for Croft, North Yorkshire on Find My Past which is quite interesting. There are a couple of words that I cannot make out (it looks like there is a Latin version of the recipe/prescription below the English version if that is of any help).
Here is what I have made out :
"Take Rue (??) clean pick’d from ye Stalks six ounces, Garlick pick’d & bruised, fine English Tin filed or rasp’d, Venice Treacle of each four ounces, Ash coloured Ground Liverwort a large handful. Boil ?? these in five quarts of strong beer over a gentle Fire for an Hour, then strain and keep Liquor for use. To a Man give nine Spoonfulls warm in a Morning fasting & fast two Hours after. To Beasts give it cold. To an Ox or Horse 17 or 18 Spoonfulls, to a Dog four Spoonfulls, & to a Sheep three. All for seven Mornings successively. My Author saies, this has never failed & that it has cured even when ye symptoms of Madness have been commenced.
August 5th 1749"
Can anyone fill in the missing gaps, please?
Mind you I am not advocating that anyone tries the concoction.....
Here is what I have made out :
"Take Rue (??) clean pick’d from ye Stalks six ounces, Garlick pick’d & bruised, fine English Tin filed or rasp’d, Venice Treacle of each four ounces, Ash coloured Ground Liverwort a large handful. Boil ?? these in five quarts of strong beer over a gentle Fire for an Hour, then strain and keep Liquor for use. To a Man give nine Spoonfulls warm in a Morning fasting & fast two Hours after. To Beasts give it cold. To an Ox or Horse 17 or 18 Spoonfulls, to a Dog four Spoonfulls, & to a Sheep three. All for seven Mornings successively. My Author saies, this has never failed & that it has cured even when ye symptoms of Madness have been commenced.
August 5th 1749"
Can anyone fill in the missing gaps, please?
Mind you I am not advocating that anyone tries the concoction.....