• Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

  • If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  • This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  • It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

FindMyPast

This may be a Grandmother + suck eggs scenario (apologies if so) I'm writing but I couldn't conveniently work on FMP without this method.

Because the screen on my laptop is smaller than on my pc I can't have my family tree program page (or any other program I may be using for recording purposes) open alongside the FMP page I'm working on. So on FMP I reduce my screen resolution down from 100% to 75% and this gives me a lot more info at a glance and I'm not having to constantly keep adjusting my view of the FMP page to be able to read the next few words. This allows me to check the entry already in my records at a glance. The information and transcriptions are still legible but I always use the FMP magnifier on the actual scanned documents before I choose to download or close.
 
I've moved all the 2nd monitor posts and created a new thread in the Focus Group Discussion forum.
 
There are times when I have found the Census References on another site, but I want to look at what FindMyPast has for this census.

You can do a Census Reference Search by adding the census details here.
 
I find the census images clearer on Ancestry rather than FMP, overall and in some cases have been known to have to see the 'same' image on Ancestry in order to read some script. I commented about this to FMP who replied that their images were photographed at a different time.
 
I feel that the best bit of FMP is the FreeBMD Marriage Finder (FMP trade mark) which does a great job of linking two possible partners together. For example, potentially quickly finding the wife's maiden surname and marriage quarter & location from a known census record.
 
Back
Top