cfbandit
LostCousins Member
Hi all, does anyone have any tips for finding information on folks who died recently (2010s-2020s) in England?
In the US, I would look for an obituary in newspapers and Legacy, social media posts, etc.
I've tried the same strategies in the England, and I keep getting stuck and not finding any information. So I was wondering if the process in England is socially a little different?
Here's my current England process:
1. Check Ancestry, FindmyPast, Geneanet, and FamilySearch for any online records and/or family postings.
2. Check the local newspaper and regional newspaper websites for obituaries, memories, or public notices.
3. Check British Newspaper Archive, Deceased Online, and Legacy for any online postings.
4. Check Facebook, Instagram, and X for profiles, then check for posts mentioning the name of the deceased.
I've got four DNA connections, all from England, who are all stuck in this spot - a grandparent or great-grandparent passed away fairly recently and I'm missing a generation to finish the matchup between myself and the connection....and they're not answering messages so I can't ask directly.
In the US, I would look for an obituary in newspapers and Legacy, social media posts, etc.
I've tried the same strategies in the England, and I keep getting stuck and not finding any information. So I was wondering if the process in England is socially a little different?
Here's my current England process:
1. Check Ancestry, FindmyPast, Geneanet, and FamilySearch for any online records and/or family postings.
2. Check the local newspaper and regional newspaper websites for obituaries, memories, or public notices.
3. Check British Newspaper Archive, Deceased Online, and Legacy for any online postings.
4. Check Facebook, Instagram, and X for profiles, then check for posts mentioning the name of the deceased.
I've got four DNA connections, all from England, who are all stuck in this spot - a grandparent or great-grandparent passed away fairly recently and I'm missing a generation to finish the matchup between myself and the connection....and they're not answering messages so I can't ask directly.