jorghes
LostCousins Superstar
I come to the venerable brains trust to see if you can help me locate my jailed ancestor on the 1881 census.
My ancestor is Alfred Paul Artus, born on 26 April 1826 in Whitminster, Gloucestershire. He died on 10 Aug 1907 in Gloucester. He married at the age of 19 to Sarah Ann Woodfield.
I have the records for Alfred Paul for the 1841, 1851, 1861, 1871, 1891 and 1901 censuses, but not the 1881 - I have searched multiple times on multiple occasions and never managed to find even a viable result.
At the time of the 1881 census, Sarah Ann was living at 2 Moor St, Chepstow with her daughter Mary (my great-great grandmother). Her occupation reads "Husband in Prison". [5219 / 26 / 13]
I know why Alfred Paul was in prison, it was reported with great gusto by the Western Times on 9 Feb 1881 that he, along with a married woman and her two daughters, had stolen 40 pounds of coal from his employer (Miss Marsh of Hardwick House, Chepstow). Alfred Paul was sentenced to three months hard labour - but the newspaper article (which is viewable on British Newspapers) does not tell you where he was sent!
I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to find either the records from the court or prison - or any ideas to finding his entry in the 1881 census.
My ancestor is Alfred Paul Artus, born on 26 April 1826 in Whitminster, Gloucestershire. He died on 10 Aug 1907 in Gloucester. He married at the age of 19 to Sarah Ann Woodfield.
I have the records for Alfred Paul for the 1841, 1851, 1861, 1871, 1891 and 1901 censuses, but not the 1881 - I have searched multiple times on multiple occasions and never managed to find even a viable result.
At the time of the 1881 census, Sarah Ann was living at 2 Moor St, Chepstow with her daughter Mary (my great-great grandmother). Her occupation reads "Husband in Prison". [5219 / 26 / 13]
I know why Alfred Paul was in prison, it was reported with great gusto by the Western Times on 9 Feb 1881 that he, along with a married woman and her two daughters, had stolen 40 pounds of coal from his employer (Miss Marsh of Hardwick House, Chepstow). Alfred Paul was sentenced to three months hard labour - but the newspaper article (which is viewable on British Newspapers) does not tell you where he was sent!
I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to find either the records from the court or prison - or any ideas to finding his entry in the 1881 census.