How did I start my family history, well I just went along to a local family history centre to check on something and I thought while there I would see if I can find my grandparents' marriage which I did. I had never met my grandfather as he had died when my mum was 5 years old. I didn't know how just that he had died in WW1. Within a short time we went to Kew and found his war records. But it didn't tell us where or when. His picture had always hung in our front room and which I still have now. He was wearing his Boer War medals with pride. This is the only picture I have of granddad. There wasn't that much on line as it was only just starting, but that quickly started to change. Then once I had granddad's regiment I was able to find out more he died 31st Oct 1914 at Ypres, and his name is on the Menin Gates .
He was not on the local memorial and I started to go every year just to hear his name read out. I would often ask how do I get his name put on the memorial as he was missing and was never found. But most was the same for the whole regiment bar a few. Until last year when a new vicar had arrived at the Church. I introduced myself and said why I only went to that church yearly. (I don't live in the parish) She asked me to get in touch via her web site. She then put me in touch with a lovely gentleman who at last helped me get my grandfather put on his local church memorial. My brother, cousins and I clubbed together and raised enough money to pay for this. This is something we all wanted to do. Because the memorials are grade listed special permission has to be granted, then its the church and the parish who have to also to grant permission.
So this year 104 years later I can go to the Church and see his name on the memorial as well as hear his name. I never gave up and after all the year (18) of doing my family history this is something I feel so proud to have done, not just for us but for my grandparents. And also for my grandmother who had to work so hard to feed 4 small children with no pension because he had not been declared dead. Irene
He was not on the local memorial and I started to go every year just to hear his name read out. I would often ask how do I get his name put on the memorial as he was missing and was never found. But most was the same for the whole regiment bar a few. Until last year when a new vicar had arrived at the Church. I introduced myself and said why I only went to that church yearly. (I don't live in the parish) She asked me to get in touch via her web site. She then put me in touch with a lovely gentleman who at last helped me get my grandfather put on his local church memorial. My brother, cousins and I clubbed together and raised enough money to pay for this. This is something we all wanted to do. Because the memorials are grade listed special permission has to be granted, then its the church and the parish who have to also to grant permission.
So this year 104 years later I can go to the Church and see his name on the memorial as well as hear his name. I never gave up and after all the year (18) of doing my family history this is something I feel so proud to have done, not just for us but for my grandparents. And also for my grandmother who had to work so hard to feed 4 small children with no pension because he had not been declared dead. Irene