I took a DNA test in the hopes of finding the parentage of my 2G grandmother Mary, the 2nd wife of Francis.
By looking at common ancestor matches and shared matches, I have found what appear to be 48 DNA matches with descendants of Francis. I know that 2 of these are with descendants of Francis and Mary, whilst 17 are with descendants of Francis and his 1st wife Caroline.
Searching by surname is problematic: their children's (Irish) birth certificates say Mary was formerly Hardy (informant the father) or Hardding (informant a nurse), so probably the former, but this is a fairly common name. Moreover, this may well have been her name from a previous marriage: a young widow, possibly with a child, may have lived with Francis, who was 20 years older then herself, for support, in which case her birth name is unknown.
Searching by place is also uncertain. Francis lived in Sutton in Ashfield, Nottinghamshire until moving to Ireland after the death of his 1st wife. According to the 1901 Irish census, Mary was born in Nottingham, but could this be a mistake for Nottinghamshire (though the birthplace of one of the other residents is described as Nottinghamshire)?
As a DNA novice, I would welcome any suggestions about what to do next.
By looking at common ancestor matches and shared matches, I have found what appear to be 48 DNA matches with descendants of Francis. I know that 2 of these are with descendants of Francis and Mary, whilst 17 are with descendants of Francis and his 1st wife Caroline.
Searching by surname is problematic: their children's (Irish) birth certificates say Mary was formerly Hardy (informant the father) or Hardding (informant a nurse), so probably the former, but this is a fairly common name. Moreover, this may well have been her name from a previous marriage: a young widow, possibly with a child, may have lived with Francis, who was 20 years older then herself, for support, in which case her birth name is unknown.
Searching by place is also uncertain. Francis lived in Sutton in Ashfield, Nottinghamshire until moving to Ireland after the death of his 1st wife. According to the 1901 Irish census, Mary was born in Nottingham, but could this be a mistake for Nottinghamshire (though the birthplace of one of the other residents is described as Nottinghamshire)?
As a DNA novice, I would welcome any suggestions about what to do next.