• Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

  • If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  • This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  • It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Fan Trees

Tim

Megastar and Moderator
Staff member
I'd never seen the point of the fan view in the past, but seeing it now I think it could be useful for DNA, as it can highlight the ancestral lines that I share with a particular cousin.

We've never discussed Fan Trees, They're a nice visual look and you can see what areas you haven't completed, but do you use it to solve questions such as the one mentioned by Peter?

Below is a chart showing not only who I've found in my tree, but also the ones with crosses are my X-DNA inheritance path.
upload_2023-10-27_16-31-50.png

And below is my Y-DNA inheritance path
upload_2023-10-27_16-34-58.png
Can also show you by county
upload_2023-10-27_16-42-0.png
 
do you use it to solve questions such as the one mentioned by Peter?
Sorry if I didn't make myself clear. I wasn't thinking of X and Y-chromosomes, which are a rather niche topic, but autosomal DNA.

For example, the default fan tree - with the home person (usually the tree owner) at the centre uses colour to highlight the quarter of the tree that relates to each grandparent. But it doesn't have to be you (or me) at the centre, you can put any of your ancestors there - and that's why I though it might be helpful.

If the person in the centre is the person who is the Common Ancestor of you and a specific cousin, you can see at a glance the lines that you share with them. This might sound a trivial thing, but for me it could be quite helpful - since it's a reminder that I don't just share one or two ancestral lines with my cousins.
 
That colour coding is really interesting way of looking at a tree... I only wish mine only needed 4 colours...

That gives me something to do... *post pending adjustment for coloured fan chart.
 
I didn't add the colours, that's what is shown after loading your tree.
 
It's not a DNA company, more like a DNA analysis site, but you don't have to have done a DNA test to use it, it's a very useful site.

I would say that it's ironic that I was on that site last week for university work... but that might point out what I missed...

Trialling the WATO tool was very interesting given it's capabilities.
 
Now having had a bit of fun with the fan tree options, here is mine by which country each of my ancestors were born (more work would be needed to identify the counties within the United Kingdom...).
It does show an interesting mark of emigration however...
53306003256_a79060d3f5_h.jpg


*If you're wondering why Bangladesh has a colour but does not appear on the tree, that's because it's my birth country...! (and no, not adopted.)
 
Last edited:
Back
Top