• Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

  • If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  • This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  • It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

FamilyTreeMaker Issues

PhilipL

New Member
I have had a problem with FTM refusing to synchronise with Ancestry. I couldn't even upload a 'new' tree to Ancestry. This has been going on for months and FTM advised I would have to wait for an update to FTM 2024 for a fix.

I enquired again last week about progress with the upgrade - "We're nearly there but there have been some last-minute delays with the release. We're doing the final tests and adjustments so hopefully the new version is released shortly."

However, in further discussion on the LiveChat with the FTM advisor, they said they didn't think that was the problem at all!

"The upload issue is caused by duplicate source groups in your tree. So please go through your source groups and merge any duplicate groups, then try uploading again. The aim is to eliminate source groups with identical names.

Here are instructions for how to merge duplicate source groups:

https://support.mackiev.com/058599-Merging-Source-Groups-in-Family-Tree-Maker

After you've done that, please compact your tree with extended analysis, then try uploading again."

I'm exceptionally pleased to report that this has been successful with all of my trees; the older ones had over 100 duplicate sources! Synchronisation either way is problem-free at the moment and synchronisation from FTM does not rely on being logged in to Ancestry. So no apparent issue with Ancestry’s 2FA.

Fortunately, I happened to chat to someone who was able to give the correct advice but I think it does emphasise the need for some regular housekeeping in FTM:
  • Backup
  • Review place names
  • Compact (with extended analysis)
  • Merge duplicate source groups.
 
To try to clarify:
I do have 2FA enabled on my Ancestry account.
If I'm not logged-in to Ancestry, then I can upload / synchronise from FTM without any request from Ancestry for a 2FA verification code.
If I'm already logged-in to Ancestry, then I can upload / synchronise either to or from Ancestry.
 
I have just followed the instructions that PhilipL gave and was astounded by the amount of sources I have, there was only one that I could see "out of place" it had nothing associated with it so I deleted it and lo and behold I can now log in to ancestry from my familytree maker programe with 2 stage verification enabled. Thank you PhilipL :)
 
I know that I am utterly useless with technology and don't understand any of the technical terms and don't fully understand (or trust) my backups etc, so please bear with me.

I have recently constructed 2 new family trees related to a couple of my DNA matches, with a view to finding common ancestors and breaking down longstanding brick walls. Having given up many moons ago trying to sync my large FTM and Ancestry trees, I decided to try again with a brand new small tree.

When I tried to upload the FTM tree to Ancestry I got an amber warning and advice to wait until the symbol changed to green. As it was consistently showing amber for 2 weeks, I decided to try to upload the tree anyway, as I had a paper back up and was successful on the second attempt. However, on trying to sync the 2 trees after amendments had been made on both FTM and Ancestry, it warned me that 3 people would be deleted. I managed to locate their names, but had no idea if this would merely delete the names from one tree if they were duplicates, or from both trees (I was pretty certain they weren't duplicates). As no option was offered to sync without deleting any records, I made a note of the names and proceeded to sync anyway. Sure enough, they were all deleted, from both trees. I replaced the information manually on FTM and tried again. Once more they were deleted. Needless to say I gave up with the idea of syncing and will proceed maintaining them as separate trees unless I can discover what I am doing wrong. (I also managed to upload a standalone copy of my large main tree to Ancestry, where it will remain untouched as a backup.)

I haven't done the upgrades to FTM 19 for several years, as I have had problems in the past, so perhaps this is the reason? I am terrified of doing any changes as I don't trust my backups and have nobody I trust who can help me. I lost my tree on the last re-installment of FTM (in 2019 I think) as my back up didn't work. Thankfully I had also taken a Gedcom, which did reinstall the tree, but not before I almost suffered a major panic attack!

I have no faith in my backups, or that my Gedcoms will necessarily work, as the latter seem to be created in seconds, whereas backups take almost an hour. I am not sure whether I am merely making backups of media, records or the whole tree. (I have a VERY large tree and I am terrified of losing over 30 years' worth of diligent research!!)

I now hear that WIN10 will no longer be supported after October and my computer is too old to take WIN11, so I face the daunting prospect of purchasing a new model in addition to new copies of Office and FTM2024, which absolutely terrifies me.
I know I received a lot of advice from Forum members when the same problem arose after the demise of Windows Vista (in 2014, I think), so I am hoping that the techno wizards on here can assist me again.

If anyone can shed light on the sync problem or has advice on setting up a new computer, I would be most grateful, but please bear in mind it will need to be very simply presented for a technophobe to comprehend!
 
I too have been faced with the upgrade issues you mention.
I got my local computer shop to provide me with a new computer with WIN11 installed. They have made it look 99% like WIN1o and transferred all my data at no additional cost. Fairly painless and my new computer is much faster than the old one.
I've upgraded to FTM 24 with no problems or loss of data. Synchronisation with Ancestry has been trouble-free.

I'm not sure I can give any advice about your deletion problem. The only time when I have come across this is when extra spouses appear in FTM (from Ancestry?). After correcting in FTM, synchronisation deletes them from Ancesrtry.

Hope that's of some help.
 
Hi Chrissy1, you are not alone, I too am not very computer literate, I have Win 10 and know that I have to update soon, but keep putting it off. Sorry I cannot help with your problem, but I am sure someone on this forum will be able to help you. By the way I see you are from NW England where I am originally from but now live in Australia. Good luck with your problem :)
 
Back
Top