Creighton
LostCousins Member
Hi everyone.
I felt I ought to write a missive on my experience of this 'important' website and problems I have often encountered with whom I can only describe as over-zealous researchers.
I have, over time, been working my way back into my expanding antecedents branches, putting verified dates and references to many of my 'family'. I also sign up for 'watched' names that I may be alerted to anyone else with similar family interests and connections. It is here I hope to find data that I do not have and possibly connect with distant cousins or like minded people who have an interest in the name or branch of the family.
Sadly, on numerous occasions I find that 'others' have bolted-on other families and people, that have no bearing on the branch of the tree. I have spent an entire afternoon removing these false interlopers and communicated with some contributors to tell them that they have the wrong families mis-matched. Two different people were verbally quite hostile to me stating they believe they are correct and have had the ordinances sealed (LDS jargon).
Now, I am not going to say that my research is without errors but I have learned over the past twenty five years that if you publish facts, then one has to verify them and quote sources.
It becomes more apparent that, and I say this without spite, some of our friends seem to assume that if names and dates sort of fit, it must be the right family. A lot of people seem to take pleasure in collecting swathes of trees and appending them to their own without any substantive proof and/or data to back them up.
I still use FamilySearch, but sadly I do not trust it as much as I used to do. It is just an aid for me now, and if I am lucky enough to find any added value in the interim, then I research the names, dates and places for myself before confirming them to be correct.
Genealogy is never a foolproof hobby and I wondered if anyone else has had similar problems with this particular site or any similar issues of non-related interlopers appearing within your branches.
I felt I ought to write a missive on my experience of this 'important' website and problems I have often encountered with whom I can only describe as over-zealous researchers.
I have, over time, been working my way back into my expanding antecedents branches, putting verified dates and references to many of my 'family'. I also sign up for 'watched' names that I may be alerted to anyone else with similar family interests and connections. It is here I hope to find data that I do not have and possibly connect with distant cousins or like minded people who have an interest in the name or branch of the family.
Sadly, on numerous occasions I find that 'others' have bolted-on other families and people, that have no bearing on the branch of the tree. I have spent an entire afternoon removing these false interlopers and communicated with some contributors to tell them that they have the wrong families mis-matched. Two different people were verbally quite hostile to me stating they believe they are correct and have had the ordinances sealed (LDS jargon).
Now, I am not going to say that my research is without errors but I have learned over the past twenty five years that if you publish facts, then one has to verify them and quote sources.
It becomes more apparent that, and I say this without spite, some of our friends seem to assume that if names and dates sort of fit, it must be the right family. A lot of people seem to take pleasure in collecting swathes of trees and appending them to their own without any substantive proof and/or data to back them up.
I still use FamilySearch, but sadly I do not trust it as much as I used to do. It is just an aid for me now, and if I am lucky enough to find any added value in the interim, then I research the names, dates and places for myself before confirming them to be correct.
Genealogy is never a foolproof hobby and I wondered if anyone else has had similar problems with this particular site or any similar issues of non-related interlopers appearing within your branches.
Last edited by a moderator: