• Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

  • If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  • This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  • It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

FamilySearch Labs - Full-Text Search

peter

Administrator
Staff member
FamilySearch are using AI to transcribe documents (mostly books and other printed texts if my search results are anything to go by). My experience has been mixed - it's not something I'm inclined to recommend in the newsletter at this time - but maybe you're doing better?

If you haven't tried it out click FamilySearch Labs, log in using your usual FamilySearch ID, then look for
Expand your search with Full Text
 
I have had a play and found a few things I already knew as I have been researching for years. I need to be more specific and I may find a new bit of information. As it is free, I don't think we should dismiss it.
 
Peter they are loading in England/Scotland/Ireland/Wales, so capabilities will be growing. Its already exploded from the first loading in December of what is available. Rootstech had some great sessions on it. I've learned a few tricks to make it work better for me - the filters are *incredibly* important. But I've found some great things I haven't found elsewhere, like the 1894-1895 voting registers for Carnforth Lancs, where the search picked up on "Carey Boot Needham" really easily. Ancestry has the same document, but I'm without a subscription right now so I can't access it.
 
This is a fantastic resource that is currently in experimental phase and continuing to add records on a regular basis. At the moment, Crew Lists for UK Mercantile Marine from 1857-1860 are available to view from home. Additionally, all Crew Lists from 1747-1856 are available to view at a Family Search Centre or affiliate. This is the whole of BT98 (TNA reference). To find this, use filters in your search under "Type" to Government Records/Mercantile Marine. Searching by surnames using wildcards allows access to records that have been extremely hard to find previously.
 
Back
Top