Sue345
LostCousins Member
My dearly loved 'Brothers Keeper' works beautifully on Windows 10.Mostly first loved Genealogy programs are treasured including those that go way back and work on nothing beyond Vista. (The solution = keep Vista).
My dearly loved 'Brothers Keeper' works beautifully on Windows 10.Mostly first loved Genealogy programs are treasured including those that go way back and work on nothing beyond Vista. (The solution = keep Vista).
That is quite something because my own Family Tree Legends (FTL) of similar vintage to BK and also dearly loved, goes into deep sulk (and becomes erratic) if I try to access it in anything beyond Vista. So I continue to run in on a stand alone Vista machine.My dearly loved 'Brothers Keeper' works beautifully on Windows 10.
Assuming Bryman's (b) interpretation is the correct Ancestry position, and by update you mean new FTM editions each year or every other year, I don't think you have much to worry about in the short term and even in the longer term. Many people stayed with old FTM versions (myself included) before ever succumbing to later versions, like 2012 and 2014. Indeed I doubt I would have updated had it not been for the incentive -often mentioned by Peter - that Ancestry were dangling a carrot of a free 6 month subscription (or in my case and for many people extending an existing one by the same term). That was certainly my reason for updating plus the ongoing ability to be able to sync my Trees between Ancestry & FTM; the cherry on the cake.FTM will become out of date without updates
Grand instead of Great in the case of Uncles ect.![]()
Funny you should post that just after having a discussion with my sister about why I prefer Grand over Great - is she a Great Aunt or a Grand Aunt ? I was not aware that FTM used 'Grand' but can confirm my favourite FTL program when quizzed as to my relationship with a sibling of my grandparents would provide the answer Grand Nephew rather than Great. My argument is simply a Grand parent's sibling is also a Grand Uncle or Aunt, and by the same token, a Great Grand-parent's sibling would be a Great, Grand Uncle or Aunt.even if ftm uses Grand instead of Great in the case of Uncles ect
Although it would be difficult to get used to, I think it would be grandif the term were to be used universally.
And expensive! Although I live in a rural area, it is not a million miles from the Black Stump (Bryman will confirm this) but my only broadband connection is by satellite. Earlier this year I tried to download FTM and after several failed attempts had to request a refund. THEY JUST DIDN'T SEEM TO UNDERSTAND but they finally capitulated. I then purchased the disc but couldn't complete the installation because there was an update which was compulsory. I finally took my laptop to my daughter's and she did something to complete the installation.only access is by satellite service, and it's so slow
Search will find it.Haven't we had this great versus grand debate before? I can't remember what heading it came under or I'd check.
No need to 'automate' that activity - look at SPFLite editor.As the GED file is basically at Text file it is fairly easy to rename it as .txt, Open in Notepad, run Find and Replace to give new location of Media, and rename back to GED. If we have any programmers out there then the process could be automated.