Bob Spiers
LostCousins Superstar
I have over the last year grown to like FTM but use it mainly to sync with Ancestry - when the Ancestry 'Sync' climate permits (which users of FTM will understand), and for its exceedingly useful 'Places' feature. Earlier today I received an email offering a 'FREE' upgrade of my 2017 edition (Build 343) to Build 540.
To be fair to Mackiev they set out in great detail that it is by no means an essential upgrade , but is likely to be so for those who use the Ancestry sync feature (and who doesn't) and the FamilySearch features in FTM 2017. I read through all its advisory articles and decided to proceed and followed mackiev advice to backup and compact before moving on to the next step - which is when the fun began.
Step-by-step instructions abound in the email for the faint hearted, but I merely headed for the 'Update Center' (sic) to be confronted with an 'Are you authorised notice' that required details to be entered to check on my bonafide. That passed, the next step was an interrogation of my device to ensure FTM 2017 was present. Having passed that hurdle I was taken to the 'Goodies' counter and there followed endless (I kid you not) entreaties to buy this or that item to enhance use of FTM (and Mackiev the more richer as each had a price tag). There were 4 or 5 items in each row of Goodies on offer, and the same number of pages and each had to be endured and rejected before passing on. This done one finally reached the Order page (yes 'Order' page) informing I had purchased £0.00 worth of goods. I was then informed that download instructions and links would be sent to my email inbox. (Are you with me so far?)
The email eventually arrived with the Windows (& Mac) Download links so long awaited. I answered prompts asking if I had performed a backup and chose the option to allow it to close my existing FTM (rather than perform a restart later) and then the download completed with an 'exe' file for manual installation. It took a few minutes to install without a problem I might add, and when finished I was required to open FTM which, as far as I can tell, appears much as before and will have to wait to see what new features present themselves.
I post merely to warn others that although it is truly a 'free' update (providing you have FTM 2017 of course) , be prepared either to resist the 'Not-so-Free' goodies you will be offered before - repeat before - you can get to the Download. Or of course you can invest in the some 20 or more 'add on features' to make your life (and MacKiev' s) the richer.
To be fair to Mackiev they set out in great detail that it is by no means an essential upgrade , but is likely to be so for those who use the Ancestry sync feature (and who doesn't) and the FamilySearch features in FTM 2017. I read through all its advisory articles and decided to proceed and followed mackiev advice to backup and compact before moving on to the next step - which is when the fun began.
Step-by-step instructions abound in the email for the faint hearted, but I merely headed for the 'Update Center' (sic) to be confronted with an 'Are you authorised notice' that required details to be entered to check on my bonafide. That passed, the next step was an interrogation of my device to ensure FTM 2017 was present. Having passed that hurdle I was taken to the 'Goodies' counter and there followed endless (I kid you not) entreaties to buy this or that item to enhance use of FTM (and Mackiev the more richer as each had a price tag). There were 4 or 5 items in each row of Goodies on offer, and the same number of pages and each had to be endured and rejected before passing on. This done one finally reached the Order page (yes 'Order' page) informing I had purchased £0.00 worth of goods. I was then informed that download instructions and links would be sent to my email inbox. (Are you with me so far?)
The email eventually arrived with the Windows (& Mac) Download links so long awaited. I answered prompts asking if I had performed a backup and chose the option to allow it to close my existing FTM (rather than perform a restart later) and then the download completed with an 'exe' file for manual installation. It took a few minutes to install without a problem I might add, and when finished I was required to open FTM which, as far as I can tell, appears much as before and will have to wait to see what new features present themselves.
I post merely to warn others that although it is truly a 'free' update (providing you have FTM 2017 of course) , be prepared either to resist the 'Not-so-Free' goodies you will be offered before - repeat before - you can get to the Download. Or of course you can invest in the some 20 or more 'add on features' to make your life (and MacKiev' s) the richer.
Last edited: