Jonathan C
Member
I'm not sure which forum category is most appropriate to raise this question so hopefully someone will tell me if this isn't it.
Within the overall Forum there is an excellent starting page for each English County showing sources of resources - well done Peter & co. So far as I can see - although I haven't looked at every county - they each have an entry something like:
585,000 Cambridgeshire baptisms and marriages are included in the IGI at FamilySearch but not all parishes are included (you can see the coverage here).
The link takes you to the excellent and invaluable Archer Software name index to the former IGI batches, a resource I have used regularly for several years. This is a great means of selecting only the records for particular parishes, wildcard searches etc, but it does only list those parishes that are in what was called the IGI.
Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to find which parishes are NOT listed in the IGI within each county, i.e those that can, most probably, only be seen or searched at the relevant local records office (or just possibly on Find My Past et al)? I'm trying to find people in Cumberland, the Cambridgeshire / Suffolk / Essex border area, and also Devon and it would be incredibly useful to know what the online gaps are.
Maybe there's an easy answer to this one that I've missed, in which case I'd love to know what it is!
Within the overall Forum there is an excellent starting page for each English County showing sources of resources - well done Peter & co. So far as I can see - although I haven't looked at every county - they each have an entry something like:
585,000 Cambridgeshire baptisms and marriages are included in the IGI at FamilySearch but not all parishes are included (you can see the coverage here).
The link takes you to the excellent and invaluable Archer Software name index to the former IGI batches, a resource I have used regularly for several years. This is a great means of selecting only the records for particular parishes, wildcard searches etc, but it does only list those parishes that are in what was called the IGI.
Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to find which parishes are NOT listed in the IGI within each county, i.e those that can, most probably, only be seen or searched at the relevant local records office (or just possibly on Find My Past et al)? I'm trying to find people in Cumberland, the Cambridgeshire / Suffolk / Essex border area, and also Devon and it would be incredibly useful to know what the online gaps are.
Maybe there's an easy answer to this one that I've missed, in which case I'd love to know what it is!