chrissy1
LostCousins Star
Alexander, many thanks for an extremely informative tour of FTM and for your input, Tim. (I hoped that the arrows denoted direct line - does that come up automatically at the press of a button?) The places view looks extremely interesting, but without your information, I would have presumed that it applied only to US places. I bought all the 1" OS maps for the areas in which my ancestors resided and street maps for the larger places years ago.......but so much is available online now. I look forward to trying out the FTM and will definitely forward you my gedcom - but how do I get it to you? I haven't got an e-mail address for you.
I have never upgraded anything - FH program, Windows or anything else, but I am considering getting a new computer rather than merely upgrading from Vista, as my computer was new whenever Vista first came out - poss about 8/9 yrs ago? Would you recommend simply upgrading windows or getting a new desktop? If so, what sort of specification would I need to ensure that it lasts for a good while and serves my needs? What would I need to consider and is there anywhere in particular that offers good deals? My current computer was from Dell, but it had to have more memory installed a few years ago, as a friend rightly suggested it would increase its speed considerably, but I think the place where more memory goes is now full and it is pretty slow again. If anyone can suggest what spec I might want to look at or any particularly good deals I would be grateful.
I have never upgraded anything - FH program, Windows or anything else, but I am considering getting a new computer rather than merely upgrading from Vista, as my computer was new whenever Vista first came out - poss about 8/9 yrs ago? Would you recommend simply upgrading windows or getting a new desktop? If so, what sort of specification would I need to ensure that it lasts for a good while and serves my needs? What would I need to consider and is there anywhere in particular that offers good deals? My current computer was from Dell, but it had to have more memory installed a few years ago, as a friend rightly suggested it would increase its speed considerably, but I think the place where more memory goes is now full and it is pretty slow again. If anyone can suggest what spec I might want to look at or any particularly good deals I would be grateful.