SuzanneD
LostCousins Star
This has worried me because I have downloaded the Roots Magic free program and entered my data but I didn't see anything about a hints facility and even if I had, I wouldn't have expected it to link me to a site like My Heritage.
I use the full version of RootsMagic, and have updated it recently to the version that links to MyHeritage and provides hints from it. I did not turn off this function for a while until I got sick of the notifications. In light of this thread, I have been to have a look to see whether any of my data has been transferred to MyHeritage, by searching there for some unusual names in my database that don't appear in many online trees (I must have registered at some point at MH, but I don't have a subscription with them).
My data DOES NOT appear at MyHeritage - so, Chrissy, I would say that you don't have anything to be worried about (and, as you note, I don't think this feature is available with the free version anyway). RootsMagic appears to be only reading from existing information at MyHeritage unless you go through the steps to link individuals in your RM database to MH - and you would know if you were doing that. I have used this RootsMagic feature to link my RM data with FamilySearch trees, and it's quite cumbersome and has to be done person by person.
