I've flirted with Family Historian but stayed with FTM because of the integration with Ancestry. BTW as a programmer of 30+ years I'm baffled by what you suggest as "less bloated than Family Tree Maker" by what technical criteria do you suggest FTM is "bloated", have you technical experience to back this up?
I'll give you an example of what I mean by bloated. I have an ancestry tree for a friend on my subscription, to which she has full access, and I synchronise it periodically with my FTM 2014 just in case of issues. The tree has just over 3,000 individuals but the FTM file is 40mb in size, this obviously does not include any media which are obviously stored separately. It's not though an isolated issue as I have seen this with other trees in 2014, having helped my Aunt out every so often with issues with her trees on ancestry. By contrast, one of my FH trees has about 25k individuals but the file size is 11mb. I've used FTM previously since the early 2000s and prior to ancestry purchasing it and rewriting, I always found it quick to open and small file sizes, which meant less issues with crashing. Albeit that there has been some improvement from crashes in FTM2014, both 2012 and 2014 are not the quickest programs to launch (and by default it is not set to open any file) and the 40mb file takes a few minutes to open each time. Considering I have 8gb of RAM in my laptop, I'm not that impressed with the software. This is what I mean about "bloated", it also seems to take more seconds that I would expect to save the file on closure. By contrast FH is quick to open the application, quick to open files and quick to save. Unlike your good self I am not a programmer, however I have worked in IT Infrastructure Support for over 15 years, and many at a fairly senior level, so I have seen out software has developed over time and not always for the better.
As to your comment that Calioe Pie, the producers of Family Historian, have tarnished their reputation rather with the tie up with My Heritage, I couldn't agree more. Thankfully, it is possible to avoid the facility being enabled but it shouldn't really be enabled by default anyway, which is something that caused a bit of a heated debated on the Family Historian Users Group Forum late last year. I suspect there were definite financial reasons for the tie-up, but in my opinion they should have chosen more wisely.
My reason for remarking that the My Heritage link-up shouldn't be a reason for looking at Family Historian was simply to emphasise that the facility can be disabled and doesn't have to be used, in case others reading the postings were completely put off by it.
I agree, though, that FH "straight out of the box" may be more complicated than Chrissy would desire, albeit that it depends to how she uses Reunion. Even FTM needs some changes when first installed, eg, to get screens showing the desired events for each individual. FH is no different and I don't use many of the facilities, I'm probably almost using it the same way I used FTM 2006 for storing common facts and details, plus notes, albeit I like the ability to connect media files to Event Facts. Not all of us maticulously source everything, I sometimes feel that this can be overkill (as I know where the information has come from anywhere and either have a copy of the individual document or a transcript I have made myself from the original document) but its up to everyone how they use the software. I often use notes to record the source of "secondary" information, such as transcripts not made by myself, but again that is my personal view on research. I know others won't agree but it is, as you say, each to their own.
From some of the more recent posts on the FHUG Forum, I don't think even Family Historian is completely 100% GEDCOM compliant but probably more so than others. Even if Reunion isn't, whichever program Chrissy chooses may through up a few errors on import but not necessarily anything which is that serious. I know I have had them when I've exported from FTM and imported into FH. Hence its useful to often trial a program to see how it behaves. Unfortunately FTM doesn't provide this facility.