1977, and my son's baby book... and I realised that for all the stories I'd plagued my Mum about "tell me what it was like when you were a little girl" I was actually missing factual data.
By then (in 1974, 1975 & 1976) I'd lost my three remaining grand-parents, but years' before, in a fit of pre-genealogy, I'd gathered some basic details of their parents, and roots, and so it began...
My son's Dad was born in England, so I wrote to his Aunt's Uncles and his Dad and gleaned that side... but it's been a long time before I was able to accurately track some of that side of the family, and even now the 1921 Census won't fill in the gaps. But I've long kept in touch with my ex-step-sister-in-law, and my late husband's first cousin, who have provided information useful in going back and going forward.
Starting as young as I did gave me the advantage of being able to continue to contact my parents' own Aunts & Uncles and cousins. I acquired stories, *AND* a family bible (along with all the memorabilia my Nana had moved into our family home with). I joined our NZSociety of Genealogists, and kept on learning how to research, and how to record! I finally graduated from pencil and paper charts to Excel-style spreadsheets on an Amstrad, and from there, eventually Reunion for Mac (now on a laptop with 30,000+ profiles).
I've travelled the world in search of my roots. My Australian *ancestry* starts in 1803, ("Calcutta" convict/first settler of Hobart), and ca 1840s, (58th British Regiment) in New Zealand. I've an Azorean Portuguese whaler who jumped ship in NZ waters, and a Jewess (also a convict). One set of gt.gt.grandparents married at the Cape of Good Hope, living in tents on the railway line. There's gold miners, more soldiers, more mariners, shoe-makers, sawyers, and, of course, the agricultural labourers.
Oh and three ancestors who changed their name. One completely, the other two, just their surname. One took his middle name, his mother's maiden name, as his new surname. The other added SMITH, but kept his surname as a middle name.
I've cousins of nth degree who are Native American, Australian Aboriginal, Black America, Pacific Islander and New Zealand Maori... and that's just the ones off the top of my head. Personally I have no Scots or Irish... however my son and grand-daughter do.
Then I married twice more... and so have now researched four distinct families. Let's not start on the unrelated one-name-studies; rabbit holes; and assorted "that looks interesting, maybe they're related" scenarios, or the "yeah, sure I'll see what I can find on your family.... oh look a convict!"
DNA testing changed so much. (I can't believe any serious genealogist hasn't done that by now...)
Most of my distant brick-walls have gone... but I'm still totally stuck with one branch of my family. My gt.grandfather never married my gt. grandmother, neither did he die anywhere conveniently. "He came, he begat he disappeared". I have a name... and his grandson did a YDNA test for me, but still drawing blanks on that one... Not a totally unusual name, and no approx. date of birth. *sigh*. Lots of researched family trees in my files, but none that provide reliable DNA matches;
~ and his father-in-law is just as frustrating. I have his death, his marriage, his children (and dozens of DNA matches) and his service records for the 96th Regiment, but no baptism, nor 1841 Census record to match his supposed surname (BROWN) and birthplace (Bristol). He was in Tasmania by 1851.
Next month I'll be back in Tasmania catching up with my fourth-half-cousins... only a few days so not enough time to try and make contact with others I now know about, but I've met many family members before on trips.
In late May we're off again to the UK. The maps have been dragged out... I have four or five new parishes of my own to visit, since last there, and two whole countries to introduce my husband to. Like my son, he has both Scots & Irish ancestry. In 2016 we visited all our shared parishes/counties. In some cases our ancestors were hatched, matched or despatched in the same churches in Lincoln & Norfolk... and we even have family arrived on the same immigrant ship to NZ in 1874. But we're not related!!!
It's a long story... my journey... but I live and love my family history. I regret the way it works (doesn't work) now, though, with the disreputable copying of family trees that so many indulge in. When faced with a huge number of incorrect poorly researched trees littering ancestry and myheritage, I sometimes upload my own fully cited and resourced branch of a tree to Wikitree... so at least, there is one factual representation. All my other online trees are for private purposes and research only. We've lost the collaboration with cousins that was at the forefront of this website's purpose, and which has brought me some of the happiest memories over the years, of exploring my ancestors in cahoots with my known cousins. Now, close DNA matches rarely get involved/become friends. :-(
By then (in 1974, 1975 & 1976) I'd lost my three remaining grand-parents, but years' before, in a fit of pre-genealogy, I'd gathered some basic details of their parents, and roots, and so it began...
My son's Dad was born in England, so I wrote to his Aunt's Uncles and his Dad and gleaned that side... but it's been a long time before I was able to accurately track some of that side of the family, and even now the 1921 Census won't fill in the gaps. But I've long kept in touch with my ex-step-sister-in-law, and my late husband's first cousin, who have provided information useful in going back and going forward.
Starting as young as I did gave me the advantage of being able to continue to contact my parents' own Aunts & Uncles and cousins. I acquired stories, *AND* a family bible (along with all the memorabilia my Nana had moved into our family home with). I joined our NZSociety of Genealogists, and kept on learning how to research, and how to record! I finally graduated from pencil and paper charts to Excel-style spreadsheets on an Amstrad, and from there, eventually Reunion for Mac (now on a laptop with 30,000+ profiles).
I've travelled the world in search of my roots. My Australian *ancestry* starts in 1803, ("Calcutta" convict/first settler of Hobart), and ca 1840s, (58th British Regiment) in New Zealand. I've an Azorean Portuguese whaler who jumped ship in NZ waters, and a Jewess (also a convict). One set of gt.gt.grandparents married at the Cape of Good Hope, living in tents on the railway line. There's gold miners, more soldiers, more mariners, shoe-makers, sawyers, and, of course, the agricultural labourers.
Oh and three ancestors who changed their name. One completely, the other two, just their surname. One took his middle name, his mother's maiden name, as his new surname. The other added SMITH, but kept his surname as a middle name.
I've cousins of nth degree who are Native American, Australian Aboriginal, Black America, Pacific Islander and New Zealand Maori... and that's just the ones off the top of my head. Personally I have no Scots or Irish... however my son and grand-daughter do.
Then I married twice more... and so have now researched four distinct families. Let's not start on the unrelated one-name-studies; rabbit holes; and assorted "that looks interesting, maybe they're related" scenarios, or the "yeah, sure I'll see what I can find on your family.... oh look a convict!"
DNA testing changed so much. (I can't believe any serious genealogist hasn't done that by now...)
Most of my distant brick-walls have gone... but I'm still totally stuck with one branch of my family. My gt.grandfather never married my gt. grandmother, neither did he die anywhere conveniently. "He came, he begat he disappeared". I have a name... and his grandson did a YDNA test for me, but still drawing blanks on that one... Not a totally unusual name, and no approx. date of birth. *sigh*. Lots of researched family trees in my files, but none that provide reliable DNA matches;
~ and his father-in-law is just as frustrating. I have his death, his marriage, his children (and dozens of DNA matches) and his service records for the 96th Regiment, but no baptism, nor 1841 Census record to match his supposed surname (BROWN) and birthplace (Bristol). He was in Tasmania by 1851.
Next month I'll be back in Tasmania catching up with my fourth-half-cousins... only a few days so not enough time to try and make contact with others I now know about, but I've met many family members before on trips.
In late May we're off again to the UK. The maps have been dragged out... I have four or five new parishes of my own to visit, since last there, and two whole countries to introduce my husband to. Like my son, he has both Scots & Irish ancestry. In 2016 we visited all our shared parishes/counties. In some cases our ancestors were hatched, matched or despatched in the same churches in Lincoln & Norfolk... and we even have family arrived on the same immigrant ship to NZ in 1874. But we're not related!!!
It's a long story... my journey... but I live and love my family history. I regret the way it works (doesn't work) now, though, with the disreputable copying of family trees that so many indulge in. When faced with a huge number of incorrect poorly researched trees littering ancestry and myheritage, I sometimes upload my own fully cited and resourced branch of a tree to Wikitree... so at least, there is one factual representation. All my other online trees are for private purposes and research only. We've lost the collaboration with cousins that was at the forefront of this website's purpose, and which has brought me some of the happiest memories over the years, of exploring my ancestors in cahoots with my known cousins. Now, close DNA matches rarely get involved/become friends. :-(
Last edited by a moderator: