Bob Spiers
LostCousins Superstar
Although a long time user of Ancestry, I recently learned how to do something not attempted before. That is to transfer details across from one of my Trees to another newly added. In the end I became quite adept at building the new Tree with the intention to export a Gedcom so the person for whom the new Tree was compiled, could incorporate same within his -still to be acquired – FH software. Here is how it started.
The person was a visitor accompanied by someone who had been the wife of a long-time friend (now deceased) for whom I had long researched a Tree and placed on Ancestry entitled W-E. The visitor was her new partner. In conversation he admitted to his shame he knew next to nothing of his family beyond his parents. He said that both paternal grandparents had died 4 years before he was born and the same year his older sister had been born. What they knew between them was all passed down through the family amounting to knowing his paternal grandfather had married twice; his first wife had 4 children and committed suicide when learning of her husband had sired two other children with another woman. Later his grandfather married his new partner and they had 7 more children, one of whom was his father. They knew a few of the names of the other children - aunts and uncles – but little else. Their combined knowledge of their maternal sides was almost but not quite as scant.
To cut to the chase I agreed to research his Tree and in consultation with the sister I ended up with a rag bag of information. As research was underway I began by adding it into the W-E Tree which had not been added to in 3 years. It did not take that long before I began to realise it was inappropriate to add so much into the old Tree, when it deserved a Tree of its own. So I set up another Tree (B-S) and then wondered if there was a quick way to transfer information across from the old to the new. I hit on the method more by accident than design.
I learned that to achieve this a few of the main players needed to be in BOTH Trees. Then commencing with a main player (in this case the father of our friend’s new partner) select him in the W-E Tree and click on Tools/+Save to Tree. Up would come a list of my other Trees so I would select B-S and name the individual to receive the new ‘add-on'- information (which is why he/she would need to be in both Trees). I would then click SAVE and all the information relating to that individual – parents, grandparents, children as well as saved data - would be transferred across effortlessly. It then grew exponentially as I would then select a new name that was within both Trees and repeat the process, ad infinitum.
The B-S Tree is almost finished and when the time comes when I am satisfied I can add no more based on information I have, I propose to go into Manage tree and export a Gedcom to my PC. My visitor does not have an Ancestry Tree though I persuaded him to take out a 14-day trial so he could view the information to date and discuss things with him. I suggested he find himself free FH software program (for which I consulted the appropriate Forum page because I am a little stale on new software) and load onto his PC. When satisfied with his choice he is to let me know and I will then send him the Gedcom attachment which he can enter into his FH software. I have explained how he can take advantage of free online research and the pros and cons of taking out subscriptions if he so desires for Ancestry & FMP; and yes I also mentioned about Lost Cousins. I have planted the seed so must now await the harvest.
The person was a visitor accompanied by someone who had been the wife of a long-time friend (now deceased) for whom I had long researched a Tree and placed on Ancestry entitled W-E. The visitor was her new partner. In conversation he admitted to his shame he knew next to nothing of his family beyond his parents. He said that both paternal grandparents had died 4 years before he was born and the same year his older sister had been born. What they knew between them was all passed down through the family amounting to knowing his paternal grandfather had married twice; his first wife had 4 children and committed suicide when learning of her husband had sired two other children with another woman. Later his grandfather married his new partner and they had 7 more children, one of whom was his father. They knew a few of the names of the other children - aunts and uncles – but little else. Their combined knowledge of their maternal sides was almost but not quite as scant.
To cut to the chase I agreed to research his Tree and in consultation with the sister I ended up with a rag bag of information. As research was underway I began by adding it into the W-E Tree which had not been added to in 3 years. It did not take that long before I began to realise it was inappropriate to add so much into the old Tree, when it deserved a Tree of its own. So I set up another Tree (B-S) and then wondered if there was a quick way to transfer information across from the old to the new. I hit on the method more by accident than design.
I learned that to achieve this a few of the main players needed to be in BOTH Trees. Then commencing with a main player (in this case the father of our friend’s new partner) select him in the W-E Tree and click on Tools/+Save to Tree. Up would come a list of my other Trees so I would select B-S and name the individual to receive the new ‘add-on'- information (which is why he/she would need to be in both Trees). I would then click SAVE and all the information relating to that individual – parents, grandparents, children as well as saved data - would be transferred across effortlessly. It then grew exponentially as I would then select a new name that was within both Trees and repeat the process, ad infinitum.
The B-S Tree is almost finished and when the time comes when I am satisfied I can add no more based on information I have, I propose to go into Manage tree and export a Gedcom to my PC. My visitor does not have an Ancestry Tree though I persuaded him to take out a 14-day trial so he could view the information to date and discuss things with him. I suggested he find himself free FH software program (for which I consulted the appropriate Forum page because I am a little stale on new software) and load onto his PC. When satisfied with his choice he is to let me know and I will then send him the Gedcom attachment which he can enter into his FH software. I have explained how he can take advantage of free online research and the pros and cons of taking out subscriptions if he so desires for Ancestry & FMP; and yes I also mentioned about Lost Cousins. I have planted the seed so must now await the harvest.