Pauline
LostCousins Megastar
Looking in the latest newsletter at the birth certificate of a Florence who was registered as Thomas, I probably have something similar in my family. I say 'probably' because there is no subsequent correction.
The certificate I have is for a child of my 2 x great grandparents George Solman and Emma Ainge, and the certificate is for a daughter Alice born 18 December 1866. (Emma already had a daughter Alice born in 1858). I can find no later record of the 1866 Alice, but from the 1871 census and a death and burial a couple of weeks later, the couple apparently did have a son Henry born about 1866/7 for whom I have found no birth record. The 1871 census gives Henry's age as 3, but his age at death/burial was 4.
So I have always wondered if the son Henry was mistakenly registered at birth as a daughter Alice. How or why is somewhat mystifying, but one image I've had in my mind was that when the mother went to register the birth, her 8 year old daughter Alice was holding the baby. The registrar then pointed towards Alice and the baby, and asked 'what's the child's name?', which resulted in a misunderstanding and the baby ended up being registered as Alice.
The certificate I have is for a child of my 2 x great grandparents George Solman and Emma Ainge, and the certificate is for a daughter Alice born 18 December 1866. (Emma already had a daughter Alice born in 1858). I can find no later record of the 1866 Alice, but from the 1871 census and a death and burial a couple of weeks later, the couple apparently did have a son Henry born about 1866/7 for whom I have found no birth record. The 1871 census gives Henry's age as 3, but his age at death/burial was 4.
So I have always wondered if the son Henry was mistakenly registered at birth as a daughter Alice. How or why is somewhat mystifying, but one image I've had in my mind was that when the mother went to register the birth, her 8 year old daughter Alice was holding the baby. The registrar then pointed towards Alice and the baby, and asked 'what's the child's name?', which resulted in a misunderstanding and the baby ended up being registered as Alice.