Helen7
LostCousins Superstar
As agreed, ethnicity estimates are very hit and miss and generally not worth paying for a DNA test for ethnicity alone, except possibly where someone suspects that they have a non-European ancestor, as Peter mentioned early in this thread (post #2). On this theme, I have recently come across a result I think is worth reporting here (mentioned as part of a post on another thread).
My son's Australian partner recently tested with Ancestry to try and find relatives on her Scots father's side. Her mother, a 4th generation Australian with English/Scots/Irish ancestry, had already traced her family back and found an apparent Aboriginal ancestor who would have been a 5x great-grandmother of my son's partner. Her ethnicity came back with 1% Melanesia (Australia basically) which would be about right for a 5x g-grandparent (128 of them).
I know we need to take these ethnicity estimates with a pinch of salt, but I do find this interesting.
My son's Australian partner recently tested with Ancestry to try and find relatives on her Scots father's side. Her mother, a 4th generation Australian with English/Scots/Irish ancestry, had already traced her family back and found an apparent Aboriginal ancestor who would have been a 5x great-grandmother of my son's partner. Her ethnicity came back with 1% Melanesia (Australia basically) which would be about right for a 5x g-grandparent (128 of them).
I know we need to take these ethnicity estimates with a pinch of salt, but I do find this interesting.