canadianbeth
LostCousins Star
Hmmm. I just looked at mine. I now have 7% Baltic and the map shows Latvia, Lithuania and Belarus. Not an inkling of that with Ancestry.
The danger of dodgy ethnicity estimates is that some people might believe them. I contacted a genetic cousin at MyHeritage, but their response was that because they were only 16% English they didn't think it was worth following up. The irony is that according to MyHeritage I'm only 5.5% English myself.
I agree, better to just treat these (wildly variable) ethnicity estimates as amusement, and disregard them when contacting potential cousins. I've also just received my ethnicity estimate from MyHeritage, which says I am 57.2% English (seems rather low), 37.3% 'Irish, Scottish and Welsh' (OK, I do have an Irish gg-grandfather), 4.6% Balkan and 0.9% Middle Eastern (!). Ancestry hedge their bets at 97% 'England, Wales and Northern Europe' with the other 3% Norwegian (no trace of Scandinavian ancestry from MyHeritage).Oh dear... surely the point of researching is to follow all possible leads?
Indeed - it's what I've been saying for years. But trying to persuade someone you've never met that you're right and that the results they've just paid for are pretty meaningless isn't easy.I agree, better to just treat these (wildly variable) ethnicity estimates as amusement, and disregard them when contacting potential cousins
It depends if they feel they have paid for the ethnicity estimate. When I got my DNA tested it was certainly not to discover my ethnicity (I'd taken on board your comments about how unreliable these were!) but to find cousins and hopefully further my family tree. And to be fair to MyHeritage, they have come up with several new leads I didn't get via Ancestry, including a 3rd cousin related on a previously unmatched branch. So certainly worth uploading Ancestry DNA results there, and just ignoring the strange ethnicity results.Indeed - it's what I've been saying for years. But trying to persuade someone you've never met that you're right and that the results they've just paid for are pretty meaningless isn't easy.
I agree, better to just treat these (wildly variable) ethnicity estimates as amusement, and disregard them when contacting potential cousins. I've also just received my ethnicity estimate from MyHeritage, which says I am 57.2% English (seems rather low), 37.3% 'Irish, Scottish and Welsh' (OK, I do have an Irish gg-grandfather), 4.6% Balkan and 0.9% Middle Eastern (!). Ancestry hedge their bets at 97% 'England, Wales and Northern Europe' with the other 3% Norwegian (no trace of Scandinavian ancestry from MyHeritage).
I agree. My 'Genetic Communities' within England, Wales and Northwestern Europe are 'West Midlands and Northwest England', and 'Yorkshire and Pennines' - both correct.I think Ancestry are getting better - they currently have me at 79% England, Wales & Northwestern Europe (with "Genetic Communities" - Wales & the West Midlands, which is completely correct).
I have just had my own results and those of my wife and whilst my own are reasonably compatible with Ancestry, they claim my wife's results show 61.2% Scandinavian ethnicity. To my mind - and reading what others have posted - that puts those results in Mickey Mouse territory.I also have suddenly gained a Scandinavian Ancestry of 39.5%
they claim my wife's results show 61.2% Scandinavian ethnicity.
but 61% no way José.
Actually Northampton ( in my wife's case hence East Midlands) and some 60 miles south east of Birmingham. But still a no go for the galleons.I agree. The galleons did not get as far as Birmingham.
Galleons???
Snap! My first 2 matches on MH are 'new' to me (i.e. not found on Ancestry or GEDmatch) and, not only that, they have sufficient information in their on-line trees for me to identify exactly how we are related (one 3rd cousin and one 4th cousin). I have just sent off messages to both of them and (fingers crossed!) will hopefully get a response soon.I have to commend my first two DNA match notifications from MH.
That's like winning the lottery, isn't it?in my list of new matches I have an Andrew Calver (DNA managed by Peter Calver)
And it certainly did and her mother - a widow (a second cousin) - is in Italy (she married an Italian) and has a host of stories (and photos) of her family branch line, which she has indicated she will be happy to pass on via her daughter. What started as intense backwards and forwards texting using H's messaging system - which is a slight improvement on Ancestry - is now conducted via email. Early days yet but looks promising, and many questions have been asked of me, and by me to them, and am slowly piecing together a branch line of my Tree which was previously very scant. A good result all round.the one that promised an even closer match, could only relate that she believed her mother mentioned having a 'Spiers' grandmother, so she will consult her mother and get back to me, and I am sure this will happen.