There are two things that anyone looking at Ancestry's Ethnicity Estimates needs to be aware of - first of all, they describe them as relating to "Thousands of years ago", so whether they're right or wrong they're telling you about a time which is well beyond the reach of any records.It seems everyone is Irish on Ancestry DNA Peter! I agree, it could have been very misleading to me if I'd been a beginner in family history.
I have over 7,000 people on my tree and not one blood relative is Irish. I wonder which part of our DNA they are reading as Irish? I do have a fair bit of Somerset/Dorset Ancestry and that is close to Wales - are they reading some of the South West of England as Celtic, then assume that is Ireland?![]()
Secondly, the areas are large and overlapping. For example, the percentage described as Ireland relates to an area which includes not only the whole of Ireland, Scotland and Wales, but also a sizeable chunk of England. Great Britain includes parts of continental Europe, Europe West includes most of southern England.