I posed the question back in 2015 about testing for ethnicity and nobody could answer it but reading this thread makes me distictly nervous about spending any money on DNA testing to answer some family questions. I am looking for a reputable ( North American?) company for specific ethnic testing, when I look on line I get a lot of smoke and mirrors.
It seems to me it would make sense to take a DNA test that would establish some kind of a baseline for my contribution to my Canadian born daughters' DNA. It's likely to turn out to be English and Irish for the most part with very little connection to North America.
My daughters have some Indigenous ancestry but almost zero proof from records. The names of actual relatives would not be important but they would like to know more about the likely ties they have with the Haudenosaunee Confederacy.
The same type of query might be of interest to forum members with Aboriginal ties in Australia.
I don't have the technical knowledge of DNA of other members of this forum, but I'll put my two cents in.
Like Peter, I'd suggest testing with Ancestry. Their database of people alone has solved a couple of question marks for me when I made links with people who turned out to be cousins through links I wasn't completely sure of. I currently have links with 60 people that ancestry thinks are my 4th cousins, as well as 2 3rd cousins - one of which could be a third cousin through my illegitimate great-great-grandfather, but doesn't seem to know much about her tree.
I also then have about 226 pages of what ancestry would term "distant cousins" - whose relationship should be 5th cousins and more distance. There are over 30 people on a page (I was attempting to count, might be as high as 50 per page), so you yourself can figure out how many people that is who I might possibly have DNA connections to, on a sliding scale of possibility. I have a slight help in identifying at least which side of the family in most cases, by whether or not they also match my parents, who I managed to get tested. Unfortunately, those with a match to me don't always show a match to either of my parents in the Ancestry comparisons.
I am also currently part of 4 "emerging" DNA circles (two married couples) - i.e. a group of people who have identified the same set of ancestors who also match genetically. One of them is slightly incorrect due to the technicality of pedigree collapse (i.e. the circle should be centered about 2 generations higher in that particular tree), but that is also my Jewish side. The other is centered around a paternal 4x great grandfather and his wife, which also solidified information I was unsure about, around a daughter who had possibly emigrated to NZ from Australia.
Ancestry have now also added their genetic communities addition, and those that are linked to my family are all "correct" - i.e. they match what I know and match what I thought about both sides of my tree, although currently they're centered around my British Ancestry. I'm still hoping at some point for a Jewish genetic community to pop up. There might not be a genetic community for indigenous communities yet, but Ancestry are still developing their genetic communities addition to their DNA testing.