Unfortunately, I am the person who has unknowingly put incorrect information onto Ancestry. Since my Dad told me the name of his father, I put that into my tree. (His mother told all three of their children that name) Apparently such a person never existed, or if he did he was probably the father of one of my aunts. Now, when I look at the little leaf beside the "unknown" in my tree (I have since corrected mine) I see what others have copied into their trees. Not all that many, since there are not a lot of people researching my side of the family, but still... I doubt I can get one paternal cousin to change her information; she is the one who stopped communicating when I told her that George Roberts was not our grandfather, or at least not mine.
There is also the fact that for some unknown reason my grandmother decided to be Dorothy Annie, (or Annie Dorothy on my aunt's birth registration) instead of just Anne, so that error shows up as well. She is Annie in 1901 and Anne in the 1911 census. And on the registration of birth that I sent for. And the father's name she put on the marriage certificate was also incorrect. That is why it took me so long to find her; someone here on the Forum pointed me to her on the 1891 census, but even that was just a maybe until I received my DNA results. I can only assume that because she was brought up in a workhouse and essentially abandoned by her parents, that she may not have even known for sure their names. She had 13 siblings; I have found information on possibly three of them. Her mother and one of her sisters are in the 1939 register.
I have a 4th cousin on my mother's side who sent me a 58-page report on my grandmother's family, back to a 5th great-grandfather, well researched and documented, so I have input all of that into my tree, assuming hopefully that it is all correct. I was able to fill in the blanks for him regarding our branch, as he had no information at the time about my great-grandfather, other than his name.