Bryman
LostCousins Megastar
I believe that the 1911 census was the first UK census in which householders completed their own census forms. Hence the opportunity for the submitted information to be incomplete or incorrect, such as where pets have been included. However, most people completed their forms as truthfully as possible, which makes me wonder about the return for a family, in Surrey, to which I am related by marriage.
The head of household entered himself, his wife and six children, all of which I had determined from other records. However, looking at further details of the original hand written document revealed that there had been six live births and one child that had since died. This did not add up as I had found no evidence for a seventh child. I went looking for the one that had died and found that the second child listed (entered as age 8 years at time of census) had actually died and was buried at age 7 months.
A contact within that greater family suggested that there was another child born in the same quarter, in the same locality and having the same identical three names, Walter Henry Bashford, which I would not have expected to be particularly common! The Free BMD index seemed to confirm this possibilty with birth references of "Vol 2A, Page 198" and "Vol 2A, Page 179" but both were based on the same source image which only showed "Vol 2A, Page 198". This suggested that the second instance was a transcription error. However, my initial research had found this birth record via FMP (and subsequently Family Search) with reference "Vol 2A, Page 1133".
I can think of no reason why a child that had died before his first birthday should be included as an 8 year old in the census, or was there a seventh child where the registration was never recorded, was lost, or was too obscure for me to find easily? Would a still birth go unrecorded and account for this apparent inconsistency? But why would Free BMD have different references to FMP and Family Search?
Does any forum member have a similar situation or ideas to explain what went wrong in this case?
The head of household entered himself, his wife and six children, all of which I had determined from other records. However, looking at further details of the original hand written document revealed that there had been six live births and one child that had since died. This did not add up as I had found no evidence for a seventh child. I went looking for the one that had died and found that the second child listed (entered as age 8 years at time of census) had actually died and was buried at age 7 months.
A contact within that greater family suggested that there was another child born in the same quarter, in the same locality and having the same identical three names, Walter Henry Bashford, which I would not have expected to be particularly common! The Free BMD index seemed to confirm this possibilty with birth references of "Vol 2A, Page 198" and "Vol 2A, Page 179" but both were based on the same source image which only showed "Vol 2A, Page 198". This suggested that the second instance was a transcription error. However, my initial research had found this birth record via FMP (and subsequently Family Search) with reference "Vol 2A, Page 1133".
I can think of no reason why a child that had died before his first birthday should be included as an 8 year old in the census, or was there a seventh child where the registration was never recorded, was lost, or was too obscure for me to find easily? Would a still birth go unrecorded and account for this apparent inconsistency? But why would Free BMD have different references to FMP and Family Search?
Does any forum member have a similar situation or ideas to explain what went wrong in this case?