emjay
LostCousins Member
I am researching the family history of my wife's birth mother. Most of the family (ancestry) is based in Cheshire with some migrations to Manchester. We are finding the Cheshire discoveries especially interesting as we both spent our childhoods there. However, through searching military records, with WWI being a hot topic, I found one Ernest H. Rowbotham leaving his job as a farm labourer in Alderley, to join the 4th Cheshire Regiment in 1900. After training he joined the RAMC and served in the Boer War.
He was discharged from service in 1913; having completed 12 years he seems to avoided WWI service.
I found him sailing from London for Melbourne 7 Dec 1921, and decided to search sailings in 1922 on the off chance that if he had married, his wife may have joined him later. His wife Ada and their 3 children sailed for Melbourne 8 Nov 1922, which also confirmed a marriage between one Ernest Rowbotham and Ada Higginbotham in Stockport 1911.
If any forum members with access to Australian records wouldn't mind doing a little research, I would love to know what became of them.
Their children: Leslie D (1911), Nellie D (1915), Ernest H 1918
He was discharged from service in 1913; having completed 12 years he seems to avoided WWI service.
I found him sailing from London for Melbourne 7 Dec 1921, and decided to search sailings in 1922 on the off chance that if he had married, his wife may have joined him later. His wife Ada and their 3 children sailed for Melbourne 8 Nov 1922, which also confirmed a marriage between one Ernest Rowbotham and Ada Higginbotham in Stockport 1911.
If any forum members with access to Australian records wouldn't mind doing a little research, I would love to know what became of them.
Their children: Leslie D (1911), Nellie D (1915), Ernest H 1918