This may seem a basic question but I would like confirmation from more informed sources than my own guesswork as I seem to be going round in circles. At night, in bed, I am convinced I have it sussed but when looking at it in the cold light of day, I am mistaken.
I have identified a very close line to me, my sister and nephew (brother's son) which did not feature in my tree before my dna test. As it is so significant, I have to assume that one of my researched lines is not a genetic line. Therefore I am going through the very slow process of identifying matches to my tree to verify that the line is genuine. If I have matched with at least one other person say a great great grandparent, can I assume that the line is pure to the present day. Most of my matches (apart from immediate family) are with 3 or 4, sometimes 5 times great grandparents. The dna match in question is very much more recent, Ancestry states 1st - 2nd cousin. This person is 2 generations younger than my sister and I, so not sure which set of great grandparents or grandparents I should be looking at, or is my parents.? Can someone please give me guidance?
I have identified a very close line to me, my sister and nephew (brother's son) which did not feature in my tree before my dna test. As it is so significant, I have to assume that one of my researched lines is not a genetic line. Therefore I am going through the very slow process of identifying matches to my tree to verify that the line is genuine. If I have matched with at least one other person say a great great grandparent, can I assume that the line is pure to the present day. Most of my matches (apart from immediate family) are with 3 or 4, sometimes 5 times great grandparents. The dna match in question is very much more recent, Ancestry states 1st - 2nd cousin. This person is 2 generations younger than my sister and I, so not sure which set of great grandparents or grandparents I should be looking at, or is my parents.? Can someone please give me guidance?