• Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

  • If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  • This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  • It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Electoral registers 1910

Kate

LostCousins Member
Hello, does anyone know what made a man eligible to vote in 1910?
I have found someone whose abode is given and, in the column marked 'description of qualifying property', there is the address where he lives and another address, too. I can't imagine he owned one house let alone two.
Thank you.
I have put this post here as it relates to someone in the Edmonton area and I didn't know where else to post!
 
The rules changed quite a lot over the years but prior to 1918, only men owning or occupying a residential or business property and some male lodgers could vote in national elections. The two properties may have been the house he rented and a shop or business property he rented.

You may find a code on the page which indicates the voting privileges of the person, but these codes may not have applied in 1910.

A dash ( – ) – Person could not vote in the election

R – Residence qualification

BP – Business premises qualification

O – Occupational qualification

HO – Qualification through husband's occupation

NM – Naval or military voter
 
Glad to help, I know the problems I had when I looked at these pages for the first time.
 
Back
Top