jorghes
LostCousins Superstar
My general question is about educated guesses and whether or not I can use said educated guess, to break down one of my stranger brick-walls. (or whether or not there is no more knowledge to plunge and he'll be stuck as a brick wall awaiting some kind of DNA breakthrough).
This brick wall concerns my paternal 3x great grandfather – even though I know his name, I have never quite been able to figure out when or where he was born, or anything else linking in with that.
I do know a fair bit about him, which is as follows:
Once I accepted his death as listed in the margins of the medal rolls, I soon found his wife on the 1861 census, with only Jane, her daughter living with her, back in Edinburgh. I eventually found James (once I knew of his existence) in an Orphan Home, also in Edinburgh.
Jane Forbes remarried in 1861 to James Hay Shaw. Her and her two children from her first marriage appear together with James Shaw and their children on the 1871 census, and while Jane (daughter) married in 1880 and has moved on, James Forbes is still present in the home with his mother and step-father in the 1881 census.
Jane (mother) had four children with James Hay Shaw, and named them as follows:
Jane’s daughter with Henry (also Jane), named several of her children after her parents, step-father and grandparents including: Henry Forbes Wright, Jane Forbes Wright, James Hay Shaw Wright, Jessie Ford Wright.
So with all this information, fellow researchers, I ask several questions:
This brick wall concerns my paternal 3x great grandfather – even though I know his name, I have never quite been able to figure out when or where he was born, or anything else linking in with that.
I do know a fair bit about him, which is as follows:
- He was a private in the 79th Cameron Highlanders who saw war at least twice in Crimea and India.
- He is on the 1851 World Wide Army Index (with a mis-transcribed service number) as being in Canada. (Most likely because that particularly entry was a 79th Cameron Highlander)
- He married in 1853, while stationed at Edinburgh Castle, to Jane Forbes. At this point in time, I do not believe they were related. It quite clearly states on the marriage register his position in the Highlanders.
- His only son, James, was born in Portsmouth in 1854, while Henry was stationed at the Cambridge Barracks, I can only presume, right before his father was sent to the Crimea. (I purchased James’ birth register to confirm his parentage).
- His only daughter, Jane, was born in Kent in 1857, while Henry was stationed at Cheriton Barracks.
- He died, according to the Indian Mutiny Medal Rolls, on the 1 May 1858 in India, but not, it seems, in battle. His death is simply recorded as an “aside” on the medal rolls. He does not appear on the Casualty lists for the Indian Mutiny Wars. (In case you’re wondering, his service number was 2214). Neither does he appear as a casualty in the 79th Cameron Highlanders’ campaign book. I have not been able to discover any death register for Henry, neither in records in the UK or the British India records, although I have tried.
Once I accepted his death as listed in the margins of the medal rolls, I soon found his wife on the 1861 census, with only Jane, her daughter living with her, back in Edinburgh. I eventually found James (once I knew of his existence) in an Orphan Home, also in Edinburgh.
Jane Forbes remarried in 1861 to James Hay Shaw. Her and her two children from her first marriage appear together with James Shaw and their children on the 1871 census, and while Jane (daughter) married in 1880 and has moved on, James Forbes is still present in the home with his mother and step-father in the 1881 census.
Jane (mother) had four children with James Hay Shaw, and named them as follows:
- John Hugh Shaw (1862)
- David Forbes Shaw (1864)
- Mary Jane West Shaw (1867)
- Jessie Ford Shaw (1869)
Jane’s daughter with Henry (also Jane), named several of her children after her parents, step-father and grandparents including: Henry Forbes Wright, Jane Forbes Wright, James Hay Shaw Wright, Jessie Ford Wright.
So with all this information, fellow researchers, I ask several questions:
- Is it possible to presume that Jane Forbes (mother) named her eldest two children after their paternal grandparents? Could Henry’s parents therefore be James Forbes and Jane?
- He should be in the 1841 census, but as I don’t know his birth date, finding him will be difficult, as I would almost have to check every vaguely possible entry.
- I have checked the 1841 World Wide Army list, and while there are a couple of Henry Forbes’s on the list, none of them seem particularly likely to be him (i.e. none of them are from the 79th Foot!)
- He, unluckily as it is, appears on no other censuses – as he was overseas in 1851, and had died by 1861. (and none with the rest of his family, given their short married life)
- Can there be a presumption that he was from the north, given that he was a Cameron Highlander? I have seen several mentions of a recruiting area in the north, but I am not too familiar with this.
- Would there be any benefits to contacting the Cameron Highlanders museum at Fort George, given that Henry was a private, and not an officer and so far has not appeared in any documentation (other than Medal Rolls) that I have been able to access.
- Is there anything else I can do apart from searching for possible Henrys at Scotlands People using my educated guess of the possibility of a father named James and a mother named Jane?