Bob Spiers
LostCousins Superstar
In this Forum I expect not. However whilst helping a fellow researcher confirm the death date for his ancestor (and incidentally the spouse of one of mine) I came across an actual death date of 17th September 1939. The UK WGC confirms he died whilst serving on HMS Courageous on that date and is remembered on a plaque in the 'Naval Memorials (UK) -Plymouth'. The Memorial named his parents and the district of where they lived in Birmingham, which clinched the fact we had the right person.
War was declared on 3rd September 1939 so how unfortunate to be a casualty of war 14 days later? We read a lot about those who died within hours, minutes of a war ending (especially WW1) but I think 14 days into the start of one (and I thought it would have taken a week or more to get going) is most unfortunate to say the least.
Edit: HMS Courageous was a British Aircraft carrier which sank after being torpedoed by U-29 off the SW coast of Ireland on 17th September 1939. 518 men were lost, as were all Fairey Swordish aircraft of 811 & 822 Naval Air Squadrons. (There is also a Wikipedia article on the sinking).
War was declared on 3rd September 1939 so how unfortunate to be a casualty of war 14 days later? We read a lot about those who died within hours, minutes of a war ending (especially WW1) but I think 14 days into the start of one (and I thought it would have taken a week or more to get going) is most unfortunate to say the least.
Edit: HMS Courageous was a British Aircraft carrier which sank after being torpedoed by U-29 off the SW coast of Ireland on 17th September 1939. 518 men were lost, as were all Fairey Swordish aircraft of 811 & 822 Naval Air Squadrons. (There is also a Wikipedia article on the sinking).
Last edited: