Liberty
LostCousins Megastar
Yes, I know Peter and others keep telling us not to trust family traditions. BUT.
We all had just accepted that my great Uncle Percy Cubitt's wife was the former Ada Louise Flint. Someone had gone to a lot of trouble in the 1950s compiling a family history/tree and that gave her name and that they were married in Bournemouth in 1920. Then the other day I picked up a note on a Cubitt genealogy site where someone was writing a book about the ship on which Percy died and was looking for info on some of the people on board. Looking to dot the i's of what I told her, I found there was no record of a marriage, or even of an Ada Flint born in Bournemouth, etc.
After a lot of trawling around I have JUST identified who she was, making contact within the past hour with a great nephew of hers who said 'The family story was she left her husband for a sea captain called Cubitt'. Well, Percy was chief engineer rather than captain but his family tradition was nearer the truth than ours. I think someone must have told a bare-faced lie at some point!
We all had just accepted that my great Uncle Percy Cubitt's wife was the former Ada Louise Flint. Someone had gone to a lot of trouble in the 1950s compiling a family history/tree and that gave her name and that they were married in Bournemouth in 1920. Then the other day I picked up a note on a Cubitt genealogy site where someone was writing a book about the ship on which Percy died and was looking for info on some of the people on board. Looking to dot the i's of what I told her, I found there was no record of a marriage, or even of an Ada Flint born in Bournemouth, etc.
After a lot of trawling around I have JUST identified who she was, making contact within the past hour with a great nephew of hers who said 'The family story was she left her husband for a sea captain called Cubitt'. Well, Percy was chief engineer rather than captain but his family tradition was nearer the truth than ours. I think someone must have told a bare-faced lie at some point!