Hello Canadian Beth,
I would just like to endorse everything Bob has said about My Heritage (MH). I started using the software (then under a different trade name and with no online site available, I think) some years ago and eventually signed up for a 'paid' service. This has provided me with a monthly 'back up' service which gives me some security for my data if my pc were to fail. I have also found a few cousins through it, although some of them have not responded to my messages. However, the disadvantages of using it far outweigh any services or data it provides.
1) So called 'Smart Matches' which are far from smart. This system sometimes tell me that I am related to someone merely because my surname begins with the same letter of the alphabet! (OK, I might be exaggerating slightly, but not much).
2) I now get emails informing me of whole households full of individuals who are related (generally on my husband's part of the tree). This information seems to come from other online trees on MH. They are usually very distant connections and I cannot be assured of their accuracy. Like most family historians, I want to add to my tree only people whose details I can verify by researching the publicly available source materials.
3) Like Ancestry and Genes Reunited, there are mistakes and anomalies appearing within family trees which are difficult if not impossible to get corrected. I simply cannot deal with a dozen or more individuals in Australia who are all distantly connected to me but who, due to a missing baptism record in the 18th century, do not realise that their supposed line of descent may be incorrect.
4) It has any number of 'name collectors'. I sometimes get a Smart Match record informing me of a supposed distant cousin. I send a message to that person and get no response. When I check their details I discover that they have a family tree with many thousands of names on it! The most notorious of these individuals now has a total of 91,295 "family members" on his online tree which includes virtually all British and many European royal and aristocratic pedigrees. It's difficult to know whether he is actually related to these people or not.
I had to laugh last week. MH informed me of a 'new discovery'. I was given the individual's full name, year of birth and year of death and told that this person was likely to be related to me and that I might want to go and explore the records further. Yes, I thought - definitely related - it was my Mum!
I am coming up to the end of my current subscription period and I do not intend to continue. Reading Bob's message, I am now concerned about how I can extricate myself and my data from the clutches of MH. I have just started using the Family Historian 6 software package on trial. It looks very good, although I haven't yet had time to learn how to use it (New Year Resolution). I know it will take a bit more effort on my part to maintain my data, but at least I will have complete control. No more online trees for me! If I have information to transmit to a cousin, they will have to be prepared to accept it as a GED.com file.