• Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

  • If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  • This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  • It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Does anybody use the Family Historian program?

Alternatively.....

Select the person to be deleted in the Focus Window (which is the essential window in FH... with a magnifying glass icon).

Right click on that selected individual to open a short menu and then left click on the "Delete Record."

OR

Select the person to be deleted in the Focus Window.

Go to Edit on the top bar.

Left click and left click the "Delete" which appears in the menu.

OR

Select the person to be deleted in the Focus Window.

Press the "Delete" on the keyboard.


You should receive a warning message asking if you REALLY want to delete this record.


However, you could MERGE the two people, which can be a preferred policy.

For example:

Go to the Edit in the top bar.

Click the "Merge/Compare Records" that appears in the menu.

That bring up the Records Window for you to select which two records you wish to merge or compare. Select the two records (using their Record ID is probably best).

You can then compare the details in each record.

Importantly nothing is merged until you indicate you do wish to merge them.


And, if things don't work out as you intend, there is an "Undo" button in Edit menu on the top bar

Hope that helps.

Ken.
 
Getting on well with FH but wondered if anyone can confirm that media is saved in the programme as with Legacy.
Rootsmagic media was saved separately on desk top and linked to tree.
It would appear that FH is like Legacy but would like confirmation, thank you.
 
........... wondered if anyone can confirm that media is saved in the programme as with Legacy.

Yes, it does.
 
Thank you. I could not find a "drum" icon but was able to find the list and select "properties". Found the magnifying lens eventually and "delete record". The duplicate is gone. I have no idea why he was there in the first place but at least now I have the correct one.
 
upload_2019-7-5_10-49-18.png<<<<< This is what Phil called the "drum" icon; it is permanently the second tab in the sidebar below the magnifying glass symbol >>>> upload_2019-7-5_10-48-45.png

From that sidebar, the drum tab gives access to the Records list and the magnifying glass tab gives access to the Focus Window.
 
Correct, KC4 - it looks like an "oil drum" to me and back in the late 60's/early 70's the symbol was used for a computer storage drum (basically a cylinder with a magnetic coating, later replaced by disks).
Phil
 
Ok, now I see it. On the side. I was looking across the top. Thanks. And all of my media came across with the gedcom from FTM.
 
There's a new version out very soon and I'm looking for someone who's really familiar with v6 to review it. Anyone interested?
 
I have been using FH since at least 2007, thoroughly recommend it and would be happy to test a new version.

Ref "if anyone can confirm that media is saved in the programme as with Legacy" from 4 July, you can store media either as part of the program or kept on the computer and linked to the tree. I opt for the linking, as otherwise there are two versions of the media stored, and as I have in excess of 20,000 linked media items ...
When you Add media, there is the option to "Copy File(s) to:" with a drop- down. The default is <Default Location within Project Folder> but if you click on that, you will also be offered "<Don't copy - link only>". Hope that helps.
 
Thank you both for your offers. I'm going to see if I can get two review copies.

Please note that the reviews (which will be published in my newsletter, and possibly elsewhere) shouldn't simply focus on the differences between v6 and v7 - there needs to be sufficient information about FH generally to enable someone who is currently using a different programme (or relying on an online tree), to make up their mind.
 
I put off buying Family Historian for years but I don't know why I never believed Peter in the newsletters. I think it is truly exceptional for bringing together everything and have begun the long task of transferring everything. I have to say using Ancestral Sources is fantastic for adding documents with references to multiple people. Like anything, you have to spend some time experimenting, setting up your rules and screens, above all be consistent with your entries so that you can make the most of the information you put in.
 
When I am contacted by someone on Ancestry, I always send a Family Historian family group sheet on the family line they are enquiring about. My contacts are always extremely complimentary about these reports. The last contact said the reports are so much easier to understand than looking at a tree. Sending a family group sheet rather than opening up a whole tree to contacts also prevents people adding people to their tree whom they are not related to.
 
I recently used Legacy to create a pdf to send via Genes Reunited to someone who was interested in a particular line.
 
Having posted on here a couple of years ago about Family Historian, I have to admit to conceding defeat and now have 2 trees on Legacy. Maybe I wasn't good at going between two pieces of software but I found I wasn't researching because I couldn't be bothered to use it!
 
Back
Top