Bob Spiers
LostCousins Superstar
Mentioning the subject of world languages, my wife commented that English gets a lot of support when used as a 'lingua franca'. So I checked it out on Google and found a most interesting Wiki site which I think others will find of interest. You will find it here: Lingua franca
You will read that ELF (English as a lingua franca) when used as an international and intercultural communication tool is widely used outside of its normal 'Native-speaker' arena. I love the explanation that "ELF conversation may involve an Italian and a Dane chatting at a coffee break of an international conference held in Brussels, (or) a Spanish tourist asking a local for the way in Berlin...and similar situations"
It adds an interesting comment that ELF interactions are very often hybrid and gives examples which will I am sure amuse you as they did me. One can even put yourself in the picture as has happened to me on many occasions when trying to converse in France using French lingua franca. (Part French as recalled -often with incorrect pronunciations - and part English, switching from one to the other). Somehow it works (well most of the time anyway).
I believe the use of English within its Native Speaker areas plus widely used throughout the world as a lingua franca; being taught as a second language (particularly in China) and likewise in India (as a legacy of the British Raj) will all contribute to the English language retaining its place as one of the top three languages of the world for some considerable time to come.
You will read that ELF (English as a lingua franca) when used as an international and intercultural communication tool is widely used outside of its normal 'Native-speaker' arena. I love the explanation that "ELF conversation may involve an Italian and a Dane chatting at a coffee break of an international conference held in Brussels, (or) a Spanish tourist asking a local for the way in Berlin...and similar situations"
It adds an interesting comment that ELF interactions are very often hybrid and gives examples which will I am sure amuse you as they did me. One can even put yourself in the picture as has happened to me on many occasions when trying to converse in France using French lingua franca. (Part French as recalled -often with incorrect pronunciations - and part English, switching from one to the other). Somehow it works (well most of the time anyway).
I believe the use of English within its Native Speaker areas plus widely used throughout the world as a lingua franca; being taught as a second language (particularly in China) and likewise in India (as a legacy of the British Raj) will all contribute to the English language retaining its place as one of the top three languages of the world for some considerable time to come.
Last edited by a moderator:
