John Dancy
LostCousins Superstar
On 15 Jan 1824 T’s 3x great grandparents William Shearman and Elizabeth Payne were married at Sudbury in Suffolk. William was a shoemaker in Shoreditch, Elizabeth, by the census’s, was born between 1802 and 1806 in Ixworth in Suffolk. When adding them to T’s Ancestry tree ten years ago (and still today) , all the ‘helpful’ Ancestry member trees gave Elizabeth as one of the eight children of Robert Payne and Mary Wright, baptised in Barrow, Suffolk in 1805. 12 miles from Ixworth. We added them to T’s tree. In the years to now we have picked up 53 DNA cousins descended from William and Elizabeth, mostly shown as CAs but some without trees, or unlinked. No matches linked to Robert and Mary, or earlier. Last week, tracing a new relative with a Payne in their tree, by using ‘Search’ every time I found an’ unknown’ parent, I got back to a William Pain and Sarah Sharman who had seven children baptised in Ixworth between 1778 and 1798. Including an Elizabeth in 1786. Sarah passed away in 1803.
This morning I did a ‘what if’. What if their Elizabeth had died as an infant and Sarah had died in childbirth?
At 8am I replaced Robert and Mary with William and Sarah. By 10am Tricia had 16 new Common Ancestor DNA matches to Elizabeth's parents, including three to Elizabeth’s grandparents.
It is possible that the elder Elizabeth had died as an infant and that the younger Elizabeth’s baptism had been delayed or forgotten due to the death of her mother.
Do you have any “What If’s”?
This morning I did a ‘what if’. What if their Elizabeth had died as an infant and Sarah had died in childbirth?
At 8am I replaced Robert and Mary with William and Sarah. By 10am Tricia had 16 new Common Ancestor DNA matches to Elizabeth's parents, including three to Elizabeth’s grandparents.
It is possible that the elder Elizabeth had died as an infant and that the younger Elizabeth’s baptism had been delayed or forgotten due to the death of her mother.
Do you have any “What If’s”?
Last edited: