It would be marvellous - but the chances of finding that out are pretty remote, at least for the forseeable future. Ethnicity percentages are extremely unreliable, partly because the databases are skewed. For example, until this year 99% of all the people who had tested with AncestryDNA lived in the US, and the percentage is still likely to be at least 98%.I've been alerted that Ancestry.com.au will be offering a DNA test to their invited members. I've put my name on the list. How marvellous it would be to know my exact ethnicity.![]()
Deb, I'm not sure you've taken into account the higher price that Ancestry charge in Europe? I believe it's £99 plus £20 shipping, which works out at nearly $180, and this means that when you add the $39 unlocking fee it works out at twice the cost of testing with FTDNA. I don't know yet what the costs will be in Australia.You can have both for what I consider a reasonable price.
I tried to upload to Gedmatch but the server was continually busy - that's why I haven't written about it in the newsletter. Have you found it worthwhile?also did a DNA upload to GEDmatch which is free. Don't know if many Europeans use that or not.
I use Gedmatch, and never had a problem. I find it useful but the Family Finder - Chromosome Browser over at FTDNA is excellent.I tried to upload to Gedmatch but the server was continually busy - that's why I haven't written about it in the newsletter. Have you found it worthwhile?
Note that the Family Finder price isn't discounted, whilst mtDNA tests are usually a waste of money (unless you are trying to identify Richard III). The Y37 test is worth doing, however, and it's a pretty good discount if you want to take both tests.There's an offer from FMP giving you discount at FTDNA
From the description this is the paternal line only. From my research my great grandfather is illegitimate and I have no idea of his father will this make that test of little value or could it possibly provide a eureka moment?The Y37 test is worth doing
Assuming you're talking about your great-grandfather in your direct paternal line, then yes - it's probably the only way you could ever find out who his father was. For example, if you get several matches with people with a particular surname, that could well point to the surname of your unknown ancestor - so the next step would be to look for people of that surname who were in the right place at the right time.From the description this is the paternal line only. From my research my great grandfather is illegitimate and I have no idea of his father will this make that test of little value or could it possibly provide a eureka moment?
I'd suggest re-reading the DNA articles in my newsletters - they're designed to make the principles underlying DNA tests understandable by any family historian.As you can see my knowledge of DNA research is not very good.
A very valid point Tim.Taking the test may tell you nothing, not taking the test will definitely tell you nothing.
It was reading this post that generated the interest I had not previously looked at this line of research.I'd suggest re-reading the DNA articles in my newsletters - they're designed to make the principles underlying DNA tests understandable by any family historian.
It depends how far you've gone back on each line - if you've gone back (say) 7 generations on each of your 128 lines then you're not going to make any surprising discoveries. But if your great-great grandfather was out in India, and there's a rumour that his wife (your great-great grandmother) was partly Indian, then this might well show up.I do know what my ethnicity is, within a bulls roar, I was thinking if there is a 'stray' that I know nothing about