jorghes
LostCousins Superstar
I'm not sure that English non-conformists are going to affect the numbers (I have some in my tree - most people do, as in the religious census of 1851 there were almost as many non-conformists who attended church as there were conformists). But Ulster Scots and Ashkenazi Jews are certainly endogamous.
None of my family or my wife's family (6 tests including mine) who have tested at Ancestry have as many matches as you. But all 5 of the others have more than me.
I mention my non-conformist ancestors simply because that family had a habit of marrying their own cousins (both first and second and I think occasionally third). There are a lot of husbands and wives who share the same surname within that side of the family, although not in my direct line, there are also a number of repeating surnames as the family also intermarried within a small group of other families.
Perhaps what really affects my results is that my paternal side immigrated earlier and further than my maternal side - and a lot of those immigrants found their way to North America, both the USA and Canada. Thus the likelihood that my paternal side has more links within a database which would likely to be dominated (at the moment certainly) by results from those in the US and Canada would not be all that surprising?
I have yet to find any ancestors on my maternal line that were early immigrants to North America - I only have a small number of sisters emigrating in the late 1800s. Ancestry's results are insisting that my mother has two relatives that I don't have on my tree, both born in North America long before I know of any of my ancestors doing so! I also, so far, have the least number of "hits" in my maternal line that I can identify where the DNA link comes from. I have well over 20 "hits" on my paternal line (with or without help!)
