• Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

  • If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  • This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  • It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

DNA Painter

I've never used DNA Painter because I figured out that the chance of it being of any practical value was out of proportion to the amount of time it would take. The same applies to most other techniques which are not included in the DNA Masterclass.

People often write to tell me that I should publicise this or that site or technique, but when I ask for examples of how it has helped them in practice the evidence is usually lacking, or else the same results could have been achieved more simply and more quickly by following the strategies in the Masterclass.

I believe in keeping things simple, and using my time wisely - the Masterclasses are designed to achieve this.
 
I have used DNA Painter to try to construct a chromosome map, which seems to appeal to some people but not others. I find the tool quite easy to use but getting the data to put into it is not easy. You have to obtain the segment data for your cousin matches from a site that can provide it (most of them except Ancestry) and know who the common ancestors are. Most of my 'good' matches are on Ancestry and I don't have many usable matches from other sites to put into the Chromosome Painter. If you want to use it, there are Youtube videos that explain it quite well. Also, their Shared cM Project tool is easy to use and very informative.
 
Back
Top