It is the final result! I am not sure how to see how many matches he has in total. He ancestors are not from the Uk, so that is the problem. He is not at all interested and it will be hard to get any enthusiasm with these results. I made him do the test, so one day I could share it with our kids.It's very unusual to have as few close matches as that - perhaps Ancestry haven't finished processing yet?
How many matches does he have in total? If his ancestors are mostly from the British Isles he should have at least 15,000 matches - I don't know anyone who has fewer than me, and I have over 17,000 now.
It's not necessarily a problem that his ancestors aren't from the UK - it may well make the process easier, because many of the cousins he has matched with will only have a few lines outside of the UK/US, which will make it far easier to figure out how they are related to your husband.It is the final result! I am not sure how to see how many matches he has in total. He ancestors are not from the Uk, so that is the problem. He is not at all interested and it will be hard to get any enthusiasm with these results. I made him do the test, so one day I could share it with our kids.
Are you talking about total matches - in which case it's an impossibly low figure - or close matches, in which case it is a higher than average figure? It's important to distinguish between the two as they generally differ by a factor of more than 100 times.I had very few matches when I first checked but they keep adding more, as more people have theirs done I guess. A few weeks ago I had 205, now it is 223 and one was added just today. Unfortunately, I am no closer to finding my grandfather. The closest possible match (after my niece) has not replied to my message.
It sounds as if your husband is lucky to have so many close matches - for all the kits I manage they are fewer than 1% of the total. I had fewer matches than your husband for the first 4 years after testing with FTDNA so all you're seeing is what early adopters experienced.Well out of curiosity I counted the total matches on Ancestry. I did that by adding the number of people and pages. The result is less than 1000! I do realise that the matches will be added to over time. My own have increased by about 25% in one year. So that in the scheme of things wont be much for my husband. I did believe that the areas concerned for him were well tested but there is always a risk there. If I look at his matches hardly any share matches, then take the percentage of responses expected, this would be an uphill battle. I think I got carried away as my own DNA regions pinpointed my ancestors were mainly from South England! It would have been lovely to narrow down something for his. I hear the positive comments sadly I am not quite as optimistic, although it will remain on the back burner.