A
At home in NZ
Guest
An article from the New Zealand Herald about an adoptee finding her birth father and what he was.
Great story - but not necessarily completely accurate, since there was no Stanley Thomas Taylor born in Liverpool at the right time. He might possibly be:
TAYLOR, STANLEY THOMAS
GRO Reference: 1930 M Quarter in MANCHESTER NORTH Volume 08D Page 888
I don't think any experienced researcher is going to assume that someone born in Liverpool will necessarily have been registered in Liverpool RD - that's the sort of error that only beginners make. In 1930 more Liverpudlian births were registered in West Derby RD than in Liverpool RD.Not all people born in Liverpool are registered in the Liverpool registration district. I was born in a suburb of Liverpool but you won’t find me registered as Liverpool.
Yes, I also found that passenger list entry - definitely no need to look up where Didsbury is because it's shown in the passenger list as Manchester 20.I have found the deportation voyage for Stanley T Taylor birth date 17.2.30 his address in the UK was West Didsbury, I don’t need to look that up, it’s a suburb of Manchester.
I know it's dangerous to do so but I am assuming the wrong birthplace has come from a 1939 register entry because the address is 1.1miles from the 'home of John Lennon' which is mentioned in the article.I don't think any experienced researcher is going to assume that someone born in Liverpool will necessarily have been registered in Liverpool RD - that's the sort of error that only beginners make. In 1930 more Liverpudlian births were registered in West Derby RD than in Liverpool RD.
Yes, I also found that passenger list entry - definitely no need to look up where Didsbury is because it's shown in the passenger list as Manchester 20.
But given the newspaper has the wrong birthplace and the wrong age, and describes the name as 'very common', which it isn't. can we be sure of anything in the article?
The DNA can't be wrong, but someone might draw the wrong conclusions if they're relying on faulty evidence. The danger is that someone who is not an experienced family historian will select records based on their availability rather than on their relevance - that's why so many dubious trees show connections to the aristocracy (they are more likely to have left evidence for us to find).I have thought all along that if trees are wrong then the DNA is also wrong.