Pauline
LostCousins Megastar
I've been pondering over the comment in the latest newsletter about DNA providing "confirmatory evidence", in the context of establishing that we have found the right baptism (or whatever).
The more I work through my DNA matches the more it brings home just how complex DNA inheritance is, which makes me wonder just when, and to what extent, we can use DNA to confirm what we have found in the paper trail.
DNA clearly provides a degree of proof (depending on how much DNA is shared) that we are related to our DNA cousins, but exactly how we relate is less certain. It may depend on how many family members have tested, and how many matches we have in a particular line.
I think sometimes - maybe often - DNA can only provide us with further supporting evidence rather than anything more definite.
What do others think?
The more I work through my DNA matches the more it brings home just how complex DNA inheritance is, which makes me wonder just when, and to what extent, we can use DNA to confirm what we have found in the paper trail.
DNA clearly provides a degree of proof (depending on how much DNA is shared) that we are related to our DNA cousins, but exactly how we relate is less certain. It may depend on how many family members have tested, and how many matches we have in a particular line.
I think sometimes - maybe often - DNA can only provide us with further supporting evidence rather than anything more definite.
What do others think?