In the New Year 2020 Newsletter Peter writes of people being disappointed by DNA and suggests that they have not read his Masterclass on the subject. I am one of the disappointed, but I have read the Masterclass and I'm afraid it doesn't address my problem. The problem I have is that so many people who have submitted their DNA for testing seem to have no wish to take the matter any further!
I tested with Ancestry and of course have been told about hundreds of potential cousins. Several of the matches are quite close cousins with whom I am already in contact, but of course the vast majority are more distant people and they are the ones who are most likely to be useful in breaking down my brick walls. So I contact them and ... NOTHING! I have sent messages to dozens of people and very, very few have even acknowledged my contact. Of those who have replied it has usually been a case of something like "I don't know where we match but I will look into it" and that is the last I hear of them.
Incidentally, in all cases except one of a possible match it has been me who has made the first approach. The one person who contacted me first has not responded to my reply.
I really do have to wonder why people are going to the trouble and expense of DNA testing if they have apparently no interest in pursuing the results. I'd be interested to know what has been the experience of others.
I tested with Ancestry and of course have been told about hundreds of potential cousins. Several of the matches are quite close cousins with whom I am already in contact, but of course the vast majority are more distant people and they are the ones who are most likely to be useful in breaking down my brick walls. So I contact them and ... NOTHING! I have sent messages to dozens of people and very, very few have even acknowledged my contact. Of those who have replied it has usually been a case of something like "I don't know where we match but I will look into it" and that is the last I hear of them.
Incidentally, in all cases except one of a possible match it has been me who has made the first approach. The one person who contacted me first has not responded to my reply.
I really do have to wonder why people are going to the trouble and expense of DNA testing if they have apparently no interest in pursuing the results. I'd be interested to know what has been the experience of others.