Apologies if this has been raised before ... I had a quick look through the topics but couldn't find a heading that matched.
I originally tested with Ancestry DNA, and since uploaded my results to MyHeritage (and GEDmatch).
Yesterday, I received an e-mail alert from MyHeritage, letting me know I had a match with someone from interstate. He was my sixth "best" match, with 47.6cM, giving an estimate of 3rd-5th cousin.
I messaged him to discuss the match and got a quick reply. We are still working on where we match though I have a good guess. I asked if he had an Ancestry DNA profile as well, which he did.
When I went to Ancestry DNA and found his profile, it determined that we only had 7cM of shared DNA, and he was a distant cousin. While MyHeritage brings up several shared DNA matches, a couple of whom have the surname where I believe we may be linked, Ancestry does not bring up any shared matches.
My question is, have any of you had a similar situation? Do Ancestry DNA and MyHeritage DNA test different DNA segments to have these significantly different results?
(PS: the MyHeritage DNA result's largest shared segment was 22.4cM)
I originally tested with Ancestry DNA, and since uploaded my results to MyHeritage (and GEDmatch).
Yesterday, I received an e-mail alert from MyHeritage, letting me know I had a match with someone from interstate. He was my sixth "best" match, with 47.6cM, giving an estimate of 3rd-5th cousin.
I messaged him to discuss the match and got a quick reply. We are still working on where we match though I have a good guess. I asked if he had an Ancestry DNA profile as well, which he did.
When I went to Ancestry DNA and found his profile, it determined that we only had 7cM of shared DNA, and he was a distant cousin. While MyHeritage brings up several shared DNA matches, a couple of whom have the surname where I believe we may be linked, Ancestry does not bring up any shared matches.
My question is, have any of you had a similar situation? Do Ancestry DNA and MyHeritage DNA test different DNA segments to have these significantly different results?
(PS: the MyHeritage DNA result's largest shared segment was 22.4cM)
Last edited: