Peppercorn
LostCousins Member
I am having trouble locating the shipping records for Alexander MILNE's voyage to Australia. When he died in 1888 in Horsham, Victoria, his mother-in-law stated that he had been 44 years in the colony. Alexander's wife had predeceased him, and I don't know how accurate the information provided by his mother-in-law would be. I don't know anything about his life in Australia until his marriage in Dunkeld, Victoria in 1871.
As I believe that Alexander was born in Hertfordshire in 1833, he must have only been 11 years old when he emigrated. I've checked convict records, Parkhurst Boys and assisted immigrant records. His father was gardener to the Chauncey Snell family in Dane End, Herts and I've checked to see if he travelled as a servant to one of that family. Family legend has it that Alexander was a convict, but I can't find him in those records. Can anyone please offer a suggestion for a new line of enquiry.
As I believe that Alexander was born in Hertfordshire in 1833, he must have only been 11 years old when he emigrated. I've checked convict records, Parkhurst Boys and assisted immigrant records. His father was gardener to the Chauncey Snell family in Dane End, Herts and I've checked to see if he travelled as a servant to one of that family. Family legend has it that Alexander was a convict, but I can't find him in those records. Can anyone please offer a suggestion for a new line of enquiry.