• Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

  • If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  • This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  • It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

Developments at the GRO? My wish list

  • Thread starter Thread starter At home in NZ
  • Start date Start date
Good idea, in fact I can't find any of the other people whose births were registered on the same page (well I haven't tried them all, but none of the one's I have tried are there) in the GRO's 'new' index either, so it may well be that a block is missing.
You can identify whether a large block is missing by widening your search to other pages in the same volume. But first check the list of known missing blocks in my January 2019 newsletters.
 
That's wrong - the GRO isn't financed by the taxpayer!

In England all government agencies have to balance the books - they are neither allowed to make a profit or loss, nor can one service subsidise another. This means that if the GRO's costs go up, so does the price of certificates and PDFs. Similarly if the costs come down (as happened with wills) they reduce their prices. This was explained to me 5 years ago by the Deputy Registrar General himself - it's one of the reasons that they ran trials of the PDF service.

So it's in the interests of all of us to help keep the GRO's costs down - whether you are a UK taxpayer is irrelevant.
It's a long time since I lived there, so I can't remember and assumed it was similar to government organisations in NZ :oops:
 
In thread #1 I drew attention to:
Deaths for the years 1958 to 1983, and
Births for the years 1935 to 1983
which are all missing.

If you look at the available years in the drop down in the GRO you will see what I mean.
 
In thread #1 I drew attention to:
Deaths for the years 1958 to 1983, and
Births for the years 1935 to 1983
which are all missing.

If you look at the available years in the drop down in the GRO you will see what I mean.
The reason those years are missing is because the registers for those years had not been scanned and indexed when the DoVE project was abandoned in 2008 because of the high costs. It is unlikely that the cost-benefit relationship has changed significantly since then.
 
Back
Top