Gillian
LostCousins Star
This is a wonderful website for those of you with Irish family. As the blurb says: "dúchas.ie is a project to digitize the National Folklore Collection of Ireland, one of the largest folklore collections in the world. Material from thirteen counties in the Schools’ Collection is available here now." So far, the Schools' Collection consists of folklore compiled by schoolchildren in the 1930s. I found stories told to the schoolmaster (George McCahey, married to my 2nd cousin once removed) in Quigley's Point, in the far north of Co. Donegal. Several of the children are my relatives. One of them, Alex Doherty (my 3 cousin 1 removed), was particularly prolific. He has a story about fairies in the grounds of his home, Whitecastle House, where I've stayed many times, but somehow I missed the fairies. Unfortunately, the stories are neatly written up by the schoolmaster. It would have been nice to see the children's own writing.
Last edited: