• Only registered members can see all the forums - if you've received an invitation to join (it'll be on your My Summary page) please register NOW!

  • If you're looking for the LostCousins site please click the logo in the top left corner - these forums are for existing LostCousins members only.
  • This is the LostCousins Forum. If you were looking for the LostCousins website simply click the logo at the top left.
  • It's easier than ever before to check your entries from the 1881 Census - more details here

COWELL, Cain, Quirk, Cottier, Cooper, Twatch, Crellin 1650-1810

Couldn't leave this section of the Forum bare so am just adding my lot. Hope to do more on them and find lots of rellies in due course.

Maid of Kent
 
I used to know a charming, handsome elderly gentleman here in London, Ontario, Canada, who was named Roy Cottier and had been born on the Isle of Man. One of your relatives? He died about 5 years ago and would have been in his late 70's or early 80's.
 
I used to know a charming, handsome elderly gentleman here in London, Ontario, Canada, who was named Roy Cottier and had been born on the Isle of Man. One of your relatives? He died about 5 years ago and would have been in his late 70's or early 80's.

Oh Valzie, how I wish I knew. I have just the one name in my Tree and that is Catherine Cottier b.about 1755 and she was my 4 x gt.g.m. I have never done anything at all with her and now I am inspired to look more into who she was. Thanks for your message.
 
Yes, Isle of Man 1841 and 1851. We should claim copyright. :)
 
My Elleanor Quirk (Cowell) is living with her husband William Cowell (Cowle) and their youngest child, John b.1826 in Malew in 1841. In 1851 they are farming 6 acres, still with John, at Barrule Farm, Malew. By 1871 William is widowed, 88, living with his unmarried daughter Eliza, age 56. Any connections Tim?
 
I have a number of family from IOM one of whom was the first man born in IOM to cultivate the first Apple tree on the IOM also he was an engineer and an inventor.

Kewley - Quay - Cannell - Kiley - Crow

It has been said that Manxmen have not been especially notable as inventors. However, a newly-mounted library exhibition based on family documents and heirlooms kindly lent by Mr L J Kewley of Port Erin, aims to set the record straight, with particular reference to a most gifted Manxman, who has unaccountably been neglected by posterity.

Best Regards,
Tom
 
Back
Top