SueMay
LostCousins Member
I don’t normally use Ancestry as I have found it expensive, so mainly use FindMyPast (which I am very happy with) and FamilySearch, however, my son gave me an Ancestry DNA test for Christmas.
Once I received the results I decided to use Ancestry to find cousins, mainly to check my research.
I found a ½ cousin through my 2 x great grandfather (he married twice) confirming the research I’d done up to there. This is where it got interesting especially as I’d not know what had happened to my 2 x great grandfather’s ½ brother. It turns out he joined the army, met and married his Irish wife in Ireland, they went to India where a daughter was born, but sadly he died shortly afterwards. I am yet to find out more about his wife and the early years of his daughter.
So, I then did a tree search for my 3 x great grandfather, who I found along with the other children which I knew about. Even though it came up saying that they weren't DNA match, I decided to contact her in case it was maybe her husband. With contacting her, it turns out she is the 'connection' and that she has done a test! When I pointed out the fact that we were not a match, she didn't sound at all concerned, saying "it makes you wonder what was going on years ago ….. doesn't it !"
She has been doing research for a lot longer than me, with a few trees, and probably has good access to records living near Salt Lake City in Utah and says she has a will and other documents in her possession from her father for my 3 x great grandfather.
What does one do? Or how do I continue? What are the chances of finding another ancestor who will be able to help work out who my 4 x great grandfather was?
I guess my main quandary is more about the fact that I am still within the 14 day free trial period but would like to confirm the next step and am wondering whether or not to then move onto a paid subscription.
My apologies for such a long winded post and if this is not the place to post, then please feel free to delete.
Looking forward to hearing comments and suggestion.
Many thanks, Sue
Once I received the results I decided to use Ancestry to find cousins, mainly to check my research.
I found a ½ cousin through my 2 x great grandfather (he married twice) confirming the research I’d done up to there. This is where it got interesting especially as I’d not know what had happened to my 2 x great grandfather’s ½ brother. It turns out he joined the army, met and married his Irish wife in Ireland, they went to India where a daughter was born, but sadly he died shortly afterwards. I am yet to find out more about his wife and the early years of his daughter.
So, I then did a tree search for my 3 x great grandfather, who I found along with the other children which I knew about. Even though it came up saying that they weren't DNA match, I decided to contact her in case it was maybe her husband. With contacting her, it turns out she is the 'connection' and that she has done a test! When I pointed out the fact that we were not a match, she didn't sound at all concerned, saying "it makes you wonder what was going on years ago ….. doesn't it !"
She has been doing research for a lot longer than me, with a few trees, and probably has good access to records living near Salt Lake City in Utah and says she has a will and other documents in her possession from her father for my 3 x great grandfather.
What does one do? Or how do I continue? What are the chances of finding another ancestor who will be able to help work out who my 4 x great grandfather was?
I guess my main quandary is more about the fact that I am still within the 14 day free trial period but would like to confirm the next step and am wondering whether or not to then move onto a paid subscription.
My apologies for such a long winded post and if this is not the place to post, then please feel free to delete.
Looking forward to hearing comments and suggestion.
Many thanks, Sue