A recent 100th birthday party for someone in my husband's family got me reflecting on cousin relationships. As a child I remember having a couple of first cousins once removed (and frequently drove my father up the wall by referring to them as 2nd cousins!) but I have only come across more distant cousins since starting family history research. I have now made contact with numerous 4th and 5th cousins, occasional 2nd and 3rd cousins and some very distant cousins - 10th & beyond.
However, at this 100th birthday party we met one of the birthday girl's great grandchildren who we already knew had the same first name (Annabel) as our granddaughter, and a quick calculation made us realise that the two Annabel's are 4th cousins.
Our granddaughter was not actually at the party, and is still too young to appreciate what a cousin is, but it made me wonder if now that people are living longer, meeting up with more distant cousins on family occasions will become increasingly common.