Bob Spiers
LostCousins Superstar
A recent family lunch (in a restaurant away from home) with son and daughter and respective families present. I announced that I had learned via my sister in Australia that her granddaughter (my great niece) was now a successful author, having had her first novel accepted for publication. We got down to first names and my daughter said you mean my cousin G’s daughter, C? I confirmed she was right. My daughter then said that makes C my second cousin which I corrected by saying that actually she was her first cousin once-removed. Then it started.
My daughter stuck to her guns to which my wife (not my daughter’s mother I should add) said ‘you are just like your father’, meaning I have been known on occasion to disagree when perhaps I shouldn’t. Feeling on home ground I adamantly refused to concede C as a second cousin and explained she would only be such if she was the daughter of my first cousin not hers. I went on to explain it was all about the sharing of grandparents or great grandparents, that was lost on the assembled throng and to be truthful I was being out-voted. So my wife in her inimitable style cooled things by saying it is Bobs pet subject and I will get him to email you on the matter and explain why he believes he is right (meaning she had no idea either).
That was two weeks ago and I did in fact explain things (and included a relationship chart) and would you believe (perhaps you wouldn’t) achieved some consensus as to what constitutes a first cousin once-removed and what a second cousin. My daughter said she ‘sort of’ understood the difference but I doubt she did and going on others present- and many others beside - I doubt very much cousin relationships other than first cousins are understood. Many, many people believe automatically that the children of their first cousins are second cousins, which is not so.
My daughter stuck to her guns to which my wife (not my daughter’s mother I should add) said ‘you are just like your father’, meaning I have been known on occasion to disagree when perhaps I shouldn’t. Feeling on home ground I adamantly refused to concede C as a second cousin and explained she would only be such if she was the daughter of my first cousin not hers. I went on to explain it was all about the sharing of grandparents or great grandparents, that was lost on the assembled throng and to be truthful I was being out-voted. So my wife in her inimitable style cooled things by saying it is Bobs pet subject and I will get him to email you on the matter and explain why he believes he is right (meaning she had no idea either).
That was two weeks ago and I did in fact explain things (and included a relationship chart) and would you believe (perhaps you wouldn’t) achieved some consensus as to what constitutes a first cousin once-removed and what a second cousin. My daughter said she ‘sort of’ understood the difference but I doubt she did and going on others present- and many others beside - I doubt very much cousin relationships other than first cousins are understood. Many, many people believe automatically that the children of their first cousins are second cousins, which is not so.